Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bluetooth Pairing Device Help — Parallax Forums

Bluetooth Pairing Device Help

McBobMcBob Posts: 1
edited 2009-07-31 02:58 in BASIC Stamp
I should probably start off by saying that I am no genius programmer. Well, to be honest, I can't really code my way out of a paper bag when it comes to anything other than a markup language. But that's beside the point.

I am using a BS2 on a Board of Education. I also have a Bluetooth module (both the older EmbeddedBlue and the newer Easy Bluetooth) for the board because I wanted to make what I think would be a very simple device. I am trying to make something that can be paired with a computer nearby via Bluetooth (if I could lower the antenna power to be only within a meter or two, even better for the sake of using a small amount of power) and simply send a short 64-bit (non-random) code every few seconds to the computer. Probably using the DID Bluetooth Profile, though I am not sure. This device would also need to be constantly repairing with the device should it come back in range.

Are these things that can be done with the stuff I have? How would I go about doing that? I can give more information if I wasn't being clear. Like I said, I am an idiot when it comes to code, and so while I understand the BASIC Stamp book, the Bluetooth Module manual is absolutely beyond me. I have always known about Bluetooth having profiles, classes, and pairings. But all the stuff discussed in the book just goes way over my head for the most part.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-07-31 01:34
    McBob

Good luck with the Bluetooth gimmick.

I have the eb500, I can read data from this device all day long. But talking to it is a hole different story.

Don't get Me started on Windows XP64 and VISTA!!!!!!!!!

I would ditch the Bluetooth and look at WiFi. Even then its a tossup of how good the software is!

_____________________$WMc%___________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-07-31 02:58
    McBob--

Although I eventually had great success with Bluetooth, getting it up and running was a true nightmare due to the infrequency·of support from A7 engineering. (However, when the ONE guy finally got to me on his list, he always seemed to be knowledgable. But, it was impossible to carry on a meaningful conversation due·to the lag time between responses.)

I must WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with $WMc%. Parallax has semi-announced a WiFi module that might perform as robustly as Bluetooth, which is very robust. If they do, I will try to be the first to sign up on the wait list after they announce it.

It would be nice if someone passed this need back to Parallax, AGAIN. They might be tired of hearing from me.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.