Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie help, pBasic Identify problem — Parallax Forums

Newbie help, pBasic Identify problem

SunderlandSunderland Posts: 1
edited 2009-07-30 03:53 in BASIC Stamp
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section, but I'm having a simple problem and can't seem to find the solution searching the forum.

My computers are somewhat new and do not have serial ports on them, so I purchased a USB to Serial cable (the serial end has two ends, DB9 and DB25). I installed pBasic, plugged the USB and DB9 ends in to their respective places, but when I run pBasic and try to identify, all I get is an error that says no usable serial ports found. I'm sure that USB to Serial communications is possible as Parallax sells an adapter for it, but I seem to be overlooking a step or two.

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-28 22:36
    A lot of USB to serial adapters don't work for programming Stamps (or anything else Parallax sells).· The problem is that they haven't implemented some of the RS232 control lines properly.· Specifically DTR, RTS CTS and DSR have to be implemented, particularly DTR.· Pretty much any adapter using the FTDI chip will work and Keyspan High Speed USB to Serial Adapters will work.

You do have to have the proper USB driver for the adapter you're using.· Go to the manufacturer's website for their most recent driver version and install that, then try again to identify the Stamp.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-07-30 03:53
    Verify COMx Serial port (programming and debug most Stamp Pin 16).
    Follow in editor:
    Menu Edit _Menu option Preference _Tab· Editor Operation _ Group Port and Download Management – Selection Default Com Port – Use combo box arrow to see how many COM ports your OS see as active.
    Select AUTO option.
    ·
    Remove / disconnect your Stamp power supply.
    Unplug the DB9 connector from your stamp.
    ·
    Load or build simple test program in your editor· and select Run.
    Move the error message out of your way·to see how many COM ports Stamp editor identified – it will match what you have verified using the process above.
    Identify which COM port you think you stamp should be using. The Loopback will read No.
    Plug the DB9 connector back to your hardware.
    DO NOT POWER UP YOUR HARWARE!
    Run you test program again. The selected port Loopback should read Yes.
    You have verified that your COM port is seeing the hardware “loop” pins 6 and 7 connected.
    Your USB adapter is also working to a degree.
    Power up your stamp setup. Run your test program again and verify that you still have the DB9 “loop” connected.
    If you see Echo as No – your Stamp is not responding and your troubleshooting options are many.
    Power level, serial interface hardware (missing Tx and Rx wires in DB9 ), etc.
    Good luck.