Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the BS2 from parallel to serial in calculator — Parallax Forums

Using the BS2 from parallel to serial in calculator

covertcovert Posts: 4
edited 2009-07-27 23:26 in BASIC Stamp
Hey all,

······ Im currently working on a senior class project. I built a DTMF encoder and decoder, I also have a 4-bit display (LED's) and 4 7-Segment displays that use shift registers to display what keys have been entered. Along with the DTMF encoder I built a 16 tactile switch network to represent a calculator using the frequencies. Now I'm on the hard part however. I'm not really good with programming and I'm trying to make this calculator operational. I'm first trying to take and·inport·the 4-bits (parallel) from my decoder out (before entering the shift registers) and turn it into a serial outport so I can use a transmitter to get this signal to the next stage (not my part after transmission). Second I'd like to perform simple addition and subtraction with characters no larger than 0-9. It would also be nice if the characters could be entered like so:

Enter number...(1)...Transmit and store number
Enter Operand...(+)... Transmit and store operand
Enter number...(3)...Transmit and store number
Enter...(=)... This finishes the variables to be entered
Answer found by program...(4)... Transmit and clear

If anyone thinks they could give me a hand understanding how this could be done, or could point me in the right direction of where I can find some more information to research how this could be done that would be a great help.

Thank you all

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-27 23:26
    Start with what you have that works. Post your existing code and a schematic of your setup. Provide a complete description of what you want to do ... with more than one example please.

If you haven't looked already, browse the index of the Nuts and Volts Columns. You'll find an article on using keypads with a Stamp.

Go to the main Parallax webpage and click on the Resources tab. You'll see a link to the Nuts and Volts Columns index.