Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Accelerometer Weight Scale — Parallax Forums

Accelerometer Weight Scale

bobbleheadbuu4bobbleheadbuu4 Posts: 4
edited 2009-07-28 15:32 in Accessories
Hi I was reading how the accelerometer uses gas and thermometers to determine the x y z locations, from what I can tell, by using the gas technique, if u had the accelerometer flat and level on a table, if you added weight to it, it wouldn't know the difference correct? I'm wondering if there is some way to program it to detect weight to be used as a scale.

If this could be done, I think it would be awsome to beable to weigh things with devices that use accelerometers such as mobile phones

Thank you!
- mike

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-07-27 17:37
    This post is off topic in the Forum Support area which is for help or issues with the forum software itself. Your post is being moved to the snensors forum where it is more apporpriate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • bobbleheadbuu4bobbleheadbuu4 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-07-27 17:41
    Sorry and thank you
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-07-27 18:54
    Sure, you could use an accelerometer to measure mass. You will also need a spring with a known spring constant k, from which to hang the mass being measured, along with the accelerometer. You would then use the accelerometer to measure the period of the spring/mass system after it's deflected and released, from which the mass could ten be determined.

Here's the formula: T = 2π sqrt(m / k), where T = period (seconds), m = mass (kg), k = spring constant (N/m)

-Phil
    edited 2009-07-28 03:50
    So if I were to be doing this from a phone device..how do you think I would connect a spring to the phone? Thank you!!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-07-28 11:36
    Drill a hole in it and attach a mounting point for the spring. Or, put it in a small bag and attach the spring to that.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2009-07-28 12:53
    On behalf of Red Green: Duct Tape

Or, as this is electronics related, how about electrical tape, then you can even have your choice of colors to match the phone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
    edited 2009-07-28 15:04
    Sweet guys thanks for all the help, is there anyway to do it with out a spring?
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-07-28 15:32
    John R. said...
    On behalf of Red Green: Duct Tape

Or, as this is electronics related, how about electrical tape, then you can even have your choice of colors to match the phone.

In what has to be great news for us rocketry-oriented do-it-yourselfers, Target now carries duct tape in a variety of colors, including flourescent orange and bright pink. I see it's also available online:

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Duct-Tape-s/1.htm?Click=6446&crtag=Google&gclid=CO3z_8nc-JsCFQtN5QodqHub-A

It's a new day!