Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another Newbie... — Parallax Forums

Another Newbie...

isofuncurvesisofuncurves Posts: 19
edited 2009-07-23 12:11 in BASIC Stamp
I have zero experience. Searching the forums it seems like the consensus is to start out with a BS2 kit. Anybody care to suggest which one is best for me? I'm an old Chemical Engineer. Last class to program with punch cards...also FORTRAN and Basic. I haven't programmed anything but the VCR in 18 years. I assume that blinking an LED is today's version of "Hello World". Of course the project I have in mind...once I get educated...will require four motor controllers and 3 relay switches. If I can get that working, I'll eventually want to add some additional sensors and data logging.

I realize that I need to crawl first.

Thanks,
Carl

Comments

• Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-07-23 11:40
    go to www.parallax.com and search through their products page i would suggest the board of education in usb or better yet try whats a microcontroller it is what i started out with these two items would be your best bet just make sure you get them in the form that includes extra goodies to play with once you et all set up have fun

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    http://jrelectromech.services.officelive.com/default.aspx
    ·
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-07-23 12:11
    Welcome aboard!

All hail punch cards and FORTRAN (with WATFOR and WATFIV)!

You'll find PBASIC easy to get back into as has a somewhat simplified syntax than the older versions.

A good starter combo is the Board or Education and a BS2 simply because it has a prototyping board built in. I started with the BS2 and the Carrier Board because I already had a separate proto board. Both can get you going on batteries but you'll want to move to a plug in source fairly soon.

As mentioned, the free "What's a Microcontroller" and "Stampworks" will give you lots of ideas and solutions as you come up to speed.

And, this forum will be the place to ask about anything Stampwise.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·