Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another Newbie... — Parallax Forums

Another Newbie...

isofuncurvesisofuncurves Posts: 19
edited 2009-07-24 23:42 in BASIC Stamp
I have zero experience. Searching the forums it seems like the consensus is to start out with a BS2 kit. Anybody care to suggest which one is best for me? I'm an old Chemical Engineer. Last class to program with punch cards...also FORTRAN and Basic. I haven't programmed anything but the VCR in 18 years. I assume that blinking an LED is today's version of "Hello World". Of course the project I have in mind...once I get educated...will require four motor controllers and 3 relay switches. If I can get that working, I'll eventually want to add some additional sensors and data logging.

I realize that I need to crawl first.

Thanks,
Carl

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-23 05:22
    Start with the Board of Education and work through the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial. You can begin with a BS2 Stamp, but your project will likely require something a bit fancier like a BS2p or BS2px with additional statements, additional memory, and more speed. You could start with a fancier Stamp module, but you'll have to modify a lot of the examples in the tutorials since some of the timing constants are different (like for serial I/O Baud or pulse timing). Not a big deal, but it's one more thing to remember. A lot of the sample programs already change these constants automatically when you compile the program for the proper Stamp module, but I'm not sure all of them do.

Please don't post duplicate messages. It probably was a mistake. If there are no replies, you can erase your own message by clicking the X icon in the upper righthand corner of the first message box.
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-23 10:14
    I am a computer programmer by profession, and was a real newb before I started with the BS2 kit, but it quickly got me up and running. People on this forum are very helpful and skilled. When you get going, you will find help here for your projects. Try to ask specific questions, and include as much information as possible. If you know Basic programming, you will find the BS2 quite easy. Good luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • isofuncurvesisofuncurves Posts: 19
    edited 2009-07-24 21:41
    Sounds like good advice.· I was going to buy the USB BOE kit today but the Deal of the Day for a serial kit is awesome.· I just don't have a serial port on my laptops...so I'm holding out to see if the USB BOE kit comes up on Deal of the day...probably not what parallax wants to hear or even a good idea since it may not come up anytime soon but...I'm in no real hurry.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-07-24 22:42
    Here is all you need to use the Daily Deal

Parallax···· USB to Serial ····· (RS-232) Adapter

click here· ·^^^^^

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 7/24/2009 10:50:58 PM GMT
  • isofuncurvesisofuncurves Posts: 19
    edited 2009-07-24 23:42
    lol.gif
    Okay, for not being in a hurry I punted and bought the USB. Boe-Bot Robot Kit - USB Version.