Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help — Parallax Forums

help

Stylish-EngineerStylish-Engineer Posts: 13
edited 2009-07-28 15:05 in BASIC Stamp
hi, im looking to make aproject : the concept of it , that there is acar moving to a wall and i want to put a sensior in the wall and there is a detector on the car that and calculate the distance between the car and the wall , im ready to pay for the parts and the persoin who will help me , im studen in Electrical Engineering department of kuwait , thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-23 00:19
    The PING))) is an ultrasonic distance sensor and you can also measure small distances (a meter or two) using infrared. There's extensive documentation and sample programs for these in the context of Parallax's BoeBot (Board of Education based robot).

This is a student project and you will likely not find anyone here who will do it for you. That's cheating. On the other hand, there's lots of information available and many people will be happy to offer advice and help clear up misunderstandings or confusion.

Start with Parallax's webstore and the webpages on the PING and the BoeBot. Each has links to documentation and sample programs. There's also a tutorial called "Robotics with the BoeBot" that discusses the use of IR for distance sensing. You can download that by going to Parallax's main webpage and clicking on the Resources tab, then selecting "Downloads", then "Stamps in Class Downloads".
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-07-23 00:25
    try using a ping sensor available at www.parallax.com and mount it on the wall also for feed back to the driver mount on the wall groupings of leds or lights
    group green means clear group yellow (at say 5 foot from wall report from the ping) would mean close and group red (at say 1-2foor from wall report from ping) would mean stop as far as programming goes i am sorry i cant help u there i have never programmed a ping sensor i just know how they work

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    http://jrelectromech.services.officelive.com/default.aspx
    ·
  • Stylish-EngineerStylish-Engineer Posts: 13
    edited 2009-07-23 22:19
    thanks friends , i got the i idea but the problem that i need a long distance , about 100m !! and the car should detect the Checkpoint on the street, to make the driver slow down , what can of transmitter, reciver , or sensor , of scanner i should use it , so i can order it from parallax
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-07-23 23:34
    Not sure who, but they use to make ultrasonic sensors for automatted part carring carts in the auto plants. I don't think they go that for though.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-23 23:58
    Parallax doesn't sell any kind of sensor that would work at that sort of range. You may need some kind of laser rangefinder.
    edited 2009-07-25 01:56
    i would say to try a fiber optic transmitter but they only work when they are perfectly aligned.. question why such a large distance the driver should automatically slow down

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    ·
    edited 2009-07-26 14:07
    its ok bro lab , 50m will be good also , and my problem that i want to made adevice pluged in the car , and the idea of it thats find the small walls in the street , like rocks ,,, els the size of the objects about 10cm , how can i start the work
    edited 2009-07-26 15:46
    are you trying to make an automated car

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    ·
    edited 2009-07-27 07:17
    no just i want to implement the device, that alert the car when there is abig rock in the road
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-07-27 15:03
    Wouldn't the loud "THUMP" be a clue?· lol.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 21
    edited 2009-07-28 15:05
    I would use gps instead. The gps parallax sells is pretty accurate and you could program various coordinates to be "no drive zones".

Also, I'm not sure why you would attach a sensor the an object. Shouldn't your car detect the objects without each object having a sensor?