Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial to USB converters — Parallax Forums

Serial to USB converters

Darkstar9Darkstar9 Posts: 2
edited 2009-07-22 11:00 in BASIC Stamp
· Hi All
· I just picked up a BOE stamp2 at a local HAM fest. Its a serial BOE and I
have no serial ports on my PC I have a Serial to USB, but I'm not sure if it
is working. I put a 9v battery on and LED lights.

Any help or thoughs on getting started.

Thanks
Kenidea.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-19 17:53
    Download the Stamp Editor from Parallax's website Downloads page and install it. Also download at least the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual, maybe also the What's a Microcontroller? tutorial. They're all accessible by selecting the Resources tab, then the Downloads link. The Manual is under Stamp Documentation. The tutorial is under Stamps in Class Downloads, and the Editor is under Stamp Software.

Make sure you have the proper (and most recent) USB to Serial driver for your device. Check the manufacturer's website to be sure.

Try to compile and run one of the sample programs. Either your adapter will work or it won't. Pretty much any adapter that uses the FTDI chip will work. Some other adapters will also work. There's no exhaustive list. The Identify menu choice in the Stamp Editor will test the connection (and the Stamp). You'll have to have power connected to the Stamp for Identify to work.
  • Darkstar9Darkstar9 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-07-19 17:56
    Thanks for the info Mike I will get on it and I will post back with results good or bad.

Ken
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-07-19 17:59
    It depends on the brand of USB to serial adapter, not all USB to serial adapters are compatible with the BASIC Stamps. The brand FTDI is compatible with Windows 2k, XP, and Vista. Here is a link for more information:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CablesConverters/tabid/166/CategoryID/40/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/379/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-07-19 19:40
    Best get the parallax adapter (experience). I wasted alot of time going crazy trying to get several serial to USB cords working. No sucess. I learned the hard way.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-07-19 22:42
    Prettybird

I'm with you on this one. The Parallax " USB to 232 " is the way to go.

I too had to learn this the hard way.

"A hard head will only lead to a soft back!"

______________$WMc%____________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2009-07-20 02:19
    Hi folks,
    I have my own question. I have been using the serial port to communicate with chips, which is good because I use C#.NET 2005 which has a drag and drop serial port control which means you only have to add a few lines of code. I was using this to listen for anyincoming data being sent via the chip and then when my c# program recieved data i would insert the data into ACCESS or SQL Server Express.

I used USB to SERIAL converters to add extra chips and they all worked well.

I dont know much at all about the SX/B yet, but the started kit comes with a USB Cable. Now USB comms is not 'Drag and Drop' and much more complicated. If I were to eventually try out the SX/B (much later) , I am not sure what I'll do to communicate with the chip.

Or Maybe I can just recieve the the data via the USB and save as a file and then write a C# program to process that file ?
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-07-21 22:52
    I believe the "USB" that comes with Parallax stuff (like on the SX/B adapter) IS based on the FTDI chip-set, and therefore it still looks to the PC like yet another serial port.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-07-21 23:30
    Allenlane5,

You are correct, the USB to Serial adapter we have uses the FTDI chipset; the FT232RL to be exact. There are drivers available from our web site, and from the FTDI web site (www.ftdichip.com) if you are using Mac or another OS. For anyone who may need a link to the drivers, here is a link to the installer for Windows 2K to Vista 64.

FTDI USB Drivers:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/sw/uty/USBDriverInstallerV2.04.16.exe

I hope this helps and clarifies,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2009-07-22 11:00
    Thanks , thats excellent news to me. BTW , I searched and read up on PIC and AVR compilers and programmers to compare and I liked/appreciated the SX/B so much more after reading a few pdf's. Sill Ill be using the Basic stamp for a quite awhile yet. However when I get up to speed on electronics I am going to eventually need to use SX chips when I need a couple of dozen microcontrollers for my intended project!@!