Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
4H Robotics - Beyond Mindstorms NXT — Parallax Forums

4H Robotics - Beyond Mindstorms NXT

John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
edited 2009-07-21 03:48 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I don't frequent the "Stamps in Class" forum, but I didn't see anything come up on this in a search.

I am involved with the local county 4H groups at the "Extension" office of University of Wisconsin in Columbia County. Like many 4H clubs, we're basing our initial efforts on the Lego Mindstorms NXT robotics kit for education. (Sorry Andy and the Parallax team, I tried to go STAMPs and BOE Bot, but no dice.) While there are some 4H doing the Next Lego League thing, many are not, as getting a team of 10 kids together along with the resources involved is a non-trivial undertaking. So we're working our way along borrowing others curriculum, as well as doing some adaptations for our specific needs.

That brings me back to Parallax. For some (many) of the kids, the Lego is as far as they want to go, and that's fine. There are other kids that are indeed looking for a greater challenge, and want to get deeper into the "how things work", etc.

Question for this forum: Has anyone come up with a "transition" plan or curriculum to move from the NXT (or RCX) to the BOE Bot and/or STAMPSs/SX/Prop?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
John R.
Click here to see my Nomad Build Log

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-07-21 03:48
    How much are they doing in the NXT? Are they using the GUI programming or one of the languages? There is the Scribbler GUI programming tool that might make a nice transistion if they are using the NXT GUI.

Otherwise, I doubt there is a "transition plan". Maybe you could write one...