Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax BS2 input/output from iphone with blue tooth or WiFi — Parallax Forums

Parallax BS2 input/output from iphone with blue tooth or WiFi

DaveyJonzeDaveyJonze Posts: 5
edited 2009-07-19 04:34 in BASIC Stamp
Is there any way to receive input signals from the iphone on a bs2 with a eb500 blue tooth module? I've been researching the subject and it seems it can be done, but a PC is necessary. If the iphone and bs2 both have bluetooth shouldn't they be able to communicate?

If wireless communication isn't possible, would there be a way to connect serially?

I'm interested in getting inputs from the iphone to control a mid-size motor via the HB-25. Also, I'd like to get battery level data to read out on the iphone.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-18 01:27
    Parallax has the Easy Bluetooth module with a range of 30m: www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/bluetooth/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/550/Default.aspx.

I am using the BlueSmirf Gold from Sparkfun with 100m range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-07-19 04:02
    DaveyJonze

A highly detailed user Manuel can be downloaded from www.a7eng.com for the eb500, its 117Pg.s and will help you make the iphone talk to the eb500.

_________$WMc%___________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-19 04:30
    There are several "protocols" involved in Bluetooth. Up until release 3.0 of the iPhone OS, there has been no way to access the serial I/O protocol which is what the EB500 and Easy Bluetooth modules use. Now with release 3.0, it may be possible IF you write your own software. There's no built-in software that can do it and, as far as I know, there's no software yet in the App Store that will behave like a serial terminal over Bluetooth. That will likely change in the future.

The same thing currently applies to serial I/O. You'd have to build your own serial interface circuitry and you'd have to write your own software to use it. Again, this is likely to change in the future now that there's some APIs in the iPhone SDK that will allow I/O via the dock connector, but there's nothing yet.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-19 04:34
    One option that would work now is to use something like the PINK along with a Stamp to drive the HB-25. The PINK can serve up web pages via WiFi that the iPhone's Safari browser can use to set the value of variables that the Stamp can get and use to control the HB-25. Have a look at the PINK documentation (with links on the Parallax webstore page for the product). You'll need a PINK, a WiFi bridge, and a Stamp with some kind of mounting board (like a Board of Education).