Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7805/7905 circuit recommendation — Parallax Forums

7805/7905 circuit recommendation

dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
edited 2009-07-17 23:08 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I am building a voltmeter (using the ICL7107 chip) which needs +5V and -5V supply. The meter will draw 200mA max.

First question: What is negative voltage? I am really confused about this. Can someone explain the concept behind that?

Second question: The recommended circuit for the supply is as follows:
dvm_pw.gif

That seems pretty simple.

Another example (for the plus side):
psu_5v.gif

Not to bad either.

But then I came across this. Now what is the reason for having such a complex setup, and which is the most reliable?
ps_5v_reg_sch.gif

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Don't worry. Be happy

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-17 22:07
    Voltage is always relative. +5V is a five Volt supply connected so that the wire marked +5V is positive by five Volts relative to what's marked as ground. -5V is a five Volt supply connected so that the wire marked -5V is negative by five Volts relative to what's marked as ground. If you measure voltage relative to the wire marked +5V, the wire marked as ground is -5V and the wire marked as -5V is -10V.

The 7805 and 7905 regulators are designed to provide a regulated 5V with the "free" output either +5V (for the 7805) or -5V (for the 7905). It's possible to wire each of these backwards so the +5V output is provided by the 7905 and the -5V output is provided by the 7805, but it's more convenient to use them as they're designed, partly because the heatsink tab is the ground terminal and can be directly mounted to a grounded chassis for better heat dissipation if you respect how they're designed.

Your recommended circuit is actually somewhat wasteful of power since the 18V supply will always be supplying the 2K of resistance which will absorb about 9mA and dissipate about 160mW as heat. The sole function of the two 1K resistors is to provide a "virtual ground" midway between the positive and negative voltages of the 18V power source (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_ground).
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-17 23:08
    Very informative Mike. But I am stil confused with minus voltage. Does it in practice mean that the electrons go the opposite direction from a plus potential?

Any recommendations on how I can prevent the power loss from the resistors?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy