Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The SUPERBOE))) is here! — Parallax Forums

The SUPERBOE))) is here!

Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
edited 2009-08-02 20:46 in BASIC Stamp
Here is the very beginning of the SuperBOE))) not even close to finished! I am using the same IR sensors the the BoeBot Uses. This is the beginning of my very first issue. The IR does not have enough range to get the Bot going in another direction before it crashes. Haven't crashed it yet though. I am going to add a PING or a Roaming PING. I also want to add some sensors in the rear for when it backs up. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! I will post more photos lator when I reduce their size.

Post Edited (Scott Portocarrero) : 7/17/2009 4:47:55 AM GMT
3872 x 2592 - 2M
1022 x 684 - 385K
1024 x 1530 - 792K

Comments

• PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-07-17 09:30
    ·Am still doing final touchs on my mini monster boe (first one). Similar problem you had with the IR sensors. I went with Sharp IR sensors (analog) and went through a LM399 comparitor chip to ajust range. Output is a simple TTL on off state. They work great. My boe got too big and will have to put stronger servo motors on it someday, but it putts around the house OK. The rest is fine tuning the software. Thanks to this forum I have recieved alot of help. Am am a newbe with the software. A bumper switch may also be·needed for a fail safe. Table and chair legs can be a problem sometimes. I let run for·1.5 hrs so far indoors and it didin't get stuck. Contact me if any questions. Be happy to help.

The more you learn the more you find you don't know. It is neverending. Confucous 550 BC
    3072 x 2304 - 2M
    3072 x 2304 - 2M
    edited 2009-07-17 09:36
    Wow looking at your pics. Looks like you came from the machine tool industry too. I reconise the materials. Hope you still working. You have no choice but to go with Sharp IR sensors. The other guys can tell you more if a ping will work or not.
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2009-07-17 12:03
    Nice bots guys.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2009-07-17 15:49
    Scott, can you tell us more about the machine tools you used to make this robot? How did you mate the hubs to those window motors? We know that's not much fun!

Great project and inspiring, too. Makes me want to quit work for the day and work in the shop.

Ken Gracey
  • Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
    edited 2009-07-18 05:14
    Boy guys thanks for the really cool replies. Picture can be deceiving though! I managed to build this whole BOT with a drill press, band saw, and a table saw. I got the extruded from a local salvage yard. I bought 40 pounds for $100 and just cut it up. Design and build. No pre-meditation involved! Everything is threaded using a Tap.

The hubs were not hubs at all. I made a slip sleeve out of a bronze bushing by cutting a slot out of it so it would slip over the key on the wheelchair motor shaft. The I removed the wheel bearings from the wheels (which are from a kids bicycle, also from a salvage yard). I slipped the bronze bushing into the wheel and tapped in a couple of set screws so the bushing wouldn't slip. I mounted the wheels and put a piece of scrap metal and a bolt in the end of the shaft so the wheels wouldn't slip off. Took a little bit of time but happy with the results[noparse]:)[/noparse]

So think I should use Sharp IR sensors? I am going to try using the roaming PING)) tomorrow night when I have more time to tweek on it. devil.gif

I will keep this forum informed on my progress!!!!
    edited 2009-07-19 07:15
    Super BoeBot))) roaming with ping coming tomorrow!!! I can't wait to wake up roll.gif
    edited 2009-07-22 05:34
    So here is the initial test of the SuperBOE))) roaming with PING. I need input lots of input. Please let me know what you thin kand what I can do better. I need to perfect this Bot before Robogame SF next year where I will be showing it off.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8eoPPnb4NY
    edited 2009-07-22 09:54
    · Excellant video. Looks dangerous. Better get some shin guards. Mechnically thinking reversing direction and making it shorter would be a start. Slowing it down a bit wouldn't hurt either (or hurt less). You should concern youself with safety first. From this room, I was told the ping has a range of 11 feet. You need the combination of both IR and ping for sure. I am better with logic then math and converted the sharp IRs to just an on off TTL state with a pot to ajust range. A bumper switch and R/C kill switch may also be usefull in your case. I got tired of chasing mine around when it got into trouble. I have been fine tuning my mini monster for over a month now on and off. If you don't reverse direction mabe a simple level switch can be added to stop the wheelies. I will send my unfinished program later if interestted.You might find some of it usefull.
    edited 2009-07-22 15:13
    Hey Bird

Thanks for the reply and the input! Anything you can tell me will help. Also thanks for the PDF, unfortunately the high range sensors are analog so I need to used an AtoD, but that shouldn't be a problem. My bot actually stops right before it hits my leg. It can get a little hairy though. There is always that though in your mind.....in this thing going to really stop or are my shin going to get bashed in. smhair.gif
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-07-22 15:23
    That is really cool!· You may want to add some cool LEDs, such as blue for at night.· Just a thought.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2009-07-22 20:43
    · You should look into comparator chips. You can easily convert low voltage (or even hi) with the right resistor divider circuit. Example from 0v with a pot, you ajust the trigger voltage and the output voltage comes on full. For more precision ajustments, (mabe not in your case) a 10 turn pot is recommended. Great for TTL inputs such as microcontrollers. If you started with the boe bot kit or What is a Microcontroller setup, the only part you would need is the comparitor. The LM339 is easily found at Radio Shack and has 4 comparators. My electroncs is excellent, just programming is very new to me. I agree. LEDs do add personality to a bot. Sound is also good. Good luck.

Post Edited (Prettybird) : 7/22/2009 8:54:20 PM GMT
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-07-22 23:50
    nicely done pretty bird but the wiring drive me bonkers lol i have this habit of running wires to lok nice and neat lol force of habit but overall looks like a monster of a machine and reverting beack to the old school erector set i see as well as newer parts i have a nice size collection or it because all my robots are built with erector sets some with minor (= Major) modifications to the pieces
    Prettybird said...
    ·Am still doing final touchs on my mini monster boe (first one). Similar problem you had with the IR sensors. I went with Sharp IR sensors (analog) and went through a LM399 comparitor chip to ajust range. Output is a simple TTL on off state. They work great. My boe got too big and will have to put stronger servo motors on it someday, but it putts around the house OK. The rest is fine tuning the software. Thanks to this forum I have recieved alot of help. Am am a newbe with the software. A bumper switch may also be·needed for a fail safe. Table and chair legs can be a problem sometimes. I let run for·1.5 hrs so far indoors and it didin't get stuck. Contact me if any questions. Be happy to help.

The more you learn the more you find you don't know. It is neverending. Confucous 550 BC
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    http://jrelectromech.services.officelive.com/default.aspx
    ·
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-07-23 00:03
    you may wanna consider a remotely operated voltage reduction switch for the motors to slow it down if it gets to close to you or to put the brakes on since wheel chair motors have brakes unless you somehow managed to get them off lol i have a pair of them myself never had good batteries to play with they are all junkers
    Scott Portocarrero said...
    Hey Bird

Thanks for the reply and the input! Anything you can tell me will help. Also thanks for the PDF, unfortunately the high range sensors are analog so I need to used an AtoD, but that shouldn't be a problem. My bot actually stops right before it hits my leg. It can get a little hairy though. There is always that though in your mind.....in this thing going to really stop or are my shin going to get bashed in. smhair.gif
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    http://jrelectromech.services.officelive.com/default.aspx
    ·
    edited 2009-07-23 01:07
    great ideas guys! I def will add some super bright white and blue leds but first I want to get the navigation working properly. I am still think of adding a Head and spin like Johnny5. Lots of Ideas but still don't know if I like the platform I am using. There is something about tracked bots that entrigues me!
    edited 2009-07-23 05:10
    I agree with both last 2 posts. Tracked robots don't tip or bounce so much and climb well in many situations. I bought a used erector set from ebay last year real cheap. All the parts almost all gone. You can't beat erector sets. Even the screws are nickle ( not common) and very difficult to strip out. I tried selling a new trackster but not willing to give it away so that may be my next bot. Learned servo motors enough to go back to DC motors. The trackster really moves on 7.2 V and the motors have encoders. You can't beat closed loop control for precision. It is the programing that is hard for me. Finally got the What is a Microcontroller book. It has much more imfo then the Boe book for sure. I like this forum alot. You guys have been very helpful and I share what I can.

The more you learn the more you find you don't know. It is neverending. Confucous 550BC
    edited 2009-07-23 15:40
    What's a trackster??? PHOTO??
    edited 2009-07-23 19:04
    · A trackster is a tank type robot designed for educational purposes. A sturdy design but not cheap. It has predrilled holes for many kinds of boards and plugs. 7.2V DC motors with encoders·are the best features and no plastic except for the treads. You can google if for more imfo in interestted.

Post Edited (Prettybird) : 7/23/2009 7:16:19 PM GMT
    3072 x 2304 - 2M
    3072 x 2304 - 1M
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2009-07-23 19:39
    Finally looked at the video. I personally like those wheelies. Adds more personality than any darn blinkity blinkys would add! lol
    Nice bot!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES
  • slamerslamer Posts: 52
    edited 2009-07-24 01:26
    Ah cool it's good to see folks building larger robots. Wheel chair motors, IFI controllers, SLA batteries and a BASIC stamp2. Now Your Talking! Bigger robots can actually do useful work like take out the trash or mow the lawn etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedSteven Kirk Nelson (slamer)
    Team K.I.S.S
    edited 2009-07-24 03:47
    hey slammer got plans for a flame thrower??? I want to put a universal spine with different attachments like a flame thrower, garbage, and any other attachment
    edited 2009-07-29 02:31
    Help!!! Can somebody take a look at my code. I am trying to have two forward speeds (Forward_Pulse and Sonic_Speed_Forward). In this block:

IF (distance > 30) THEN ' Is Object Farther Than 30 cm / ~1 foot?
    GOSUB Forward_Pulse ' If Yes Go Forward
    ELSEIF (distance >= 300) THEN ' Is Object Farther Than 300 cm / ~10 feet?
    GOSUB Sonic_Speed_Forward ' If Yes Go Sonic
    ELSE
    GOSUB Ping_Around ' Otherwise Scan For Clear Path
    ENDIF

I am trying to go normal speed forward if around 1 foot but if there is more than 10 feet clear I want to ramp up to full speed ahead! I know I am doing it wrong can you help. The program is attached for Subroutines.
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2009-07-29 02:53
    Well, just looking at that snippet u got there...The structure of your if then tree is wrong, cause lets say distance is 310...well ..that means it's over 30 and the first if then will be true and will go to Forward_Pulse. So u want more like this:

IF (distance >= 300) THEN ' Is Object Farther Than 300 cm / ~10 feet?
    GOSUB Sonic_Speed_Forward ' If Yes Go Sonic
    ElSEIFF (distance > 30) THEN ' Is Object Farther Than 30 cm / ~1 foot?
    GOSUB Forward_Pulse ' If Yes Go Forward
    ELSE
    GOSUB Ping_Around ' Otherwise Scan For Clear Path
    ENDIF

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES
    edited 2009-07-29 04:06
    That's what I thought I'll try it out
    edited 2009-07-29 04:14
    Here is the SuperBOE))) 2nd Test Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa_sV35pL2A
    edited 2009-07-29 14:57
    Good job. Looks alot safer now.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-08-01 19:02
    Great work, Scott!

Nice, clean design.

Miss the wheelies in the first version though. Did you also train version II not to run over Master's foot? [noparse]:)[/noparse])

About how long will it go before the batts konk out?

- H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-01 23:38
    I haven't test how long the the battery lasts. If you do the math about an hour and a half. I will add another video but you should see the wheelies it does now in RC mode. I can also make it do wheel stands where it sits an its *** end. Thanks for the comments keep em coming. I need some help with programming are you somebody whom can help???
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-08-02 20:46
    Sure Scott - we all can help in various ways - just post your questions. If it's code related, just post the relevant code blocks like you did before.
    - H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔