Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board of Education Power Failure — Parallax Forums

Board of Education Power Failure

EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 21
edited 2009-07-15 16:23 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

Today when I switched on my board of education, I noticed a power failure. All sensors were not running and I measured vdd to be 10mV with my o'scope and multimeter (which is the same measurement for when the board is not powered). The board, however, has vin at 5V (this was measured and verified in the same way. Also, the green pwr led is on). The microcontroller is running software fine. I have a ac to dc 5V converter powering my board.

Does anyone have any ideas why all the vdds are duds? My only idea is that power grounded without my knowledge. But this doesn't make too much sense since my microcontroller is still alive and there clearly wasn't a fire. LOL. It doesn't matter too much that my board isn't working because I'm soldering everything anyway but I would like to keep it around for testing.

Emily

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-07-15 14:14
    You need to power the·Vin pin with at least 6v due to the fact that there is a the voltage regulator which drops the voltage down below the brown out detector which is 4.2v.··You can·power the Vdd with 5v and it should work just fine.

Dave ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-07-15 16:23
    EmilyP,

With only 10mV on Vdd the LED won’t light at all. Are you sure you got a correct measurement? Where are you getting the Vin and Vdd measurements from?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering