Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
no serial port -- posible bluetooth soution? — Parallax Forums

no serial port -- posible bluetooth soution?

DiemasterDiemaster Posts: 9
edited 2009-07-15 02:06 in BASIC Stamp
i bought a new laptop but it like my desktop at home dosent have serial or paralell ports. i have tried almost evrey usb to rs232 adapter out there and non have worked out exatly how i want.

i was looking for another adapter when i found out that u can use bluetooth as the brige for serial comunications. as this is going on a mobile platfourm, this would be the ideal choice.

i have looked into the various bluetooth adapters including the one that paralax sells but i need somting that has the majority of the pins found on a standard 232 plug. inotherwords i need to comunicate with it AND be able to program the stamp if nessary. i have looked at various modules but i cant fine one that has the DTR, DSR, RTS and ofcourse the TX/RX.

i was looking at sparkfun as they have some oddball things and found some cheap units but i dont know if those could be stamp compatible.

also can u program/talk serialy though the programing port at TTL rather than rs232 levles?

Comments

• unknownunknown Posts: 10
    edited 2009-07-14 23:18
    If you have a BS1 then you can use TTL level voltages through a DB-25 port.
    Houever, you must first program it in a way that it can recieve the siginal and interact with you.
    If your programming port is your bluetooth adapter then you could use TTL level, but make sure that it
    is rated for TTL, not CMOS.
  • DiemasterDiemaster Posts: 9
    edited 2009-07-15 01:47
    i done use the BS1. i have 2 BS2's and a BS2P 40 on this project. the P would do all the talking and programing. the BS2's are just smart IO expantion.

i was just wondering if u could program the BS2 famaly with TTL levles when there expecting true RS232 levles. it just means another chip inbetween the bluetooth and stamp if no. trying to keep the parts count down.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-15 02:06
    You can't program any of Parallax's microcontrollers via a wireless link. There was once a Bluetooth device that could be used for programming, but it had its own processor in it and it downloaded the program to its own memory first, then would program the Stamp via the direct connection between them. The device is no longer available (discontinued by the 3rd party manufacturer).

You can't use TTL levels for programming unless you invert the serial data so it looks like RS232 data.