Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Taking pin high and low — Parallax Forums

Taking pin high and low

dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
edited 2009-07-12 22:15 in BASIC Stamp
I have a 74HC595 shift register. To prevent the latches from flickering at startup, I need a pull-up on the enable pin on the IC.
I set all latches to low, and then enable the IC.

This works, but I am wondering if the schematic is OK? (I'm newbie at eletronics)

I tried this circuit and it works. Code looks like this
  HCBits = 0                                                            ' Set all latches to low
  SHIFTOUT pHCIO, pHCCLK, MSBFIRST, [noparse][[/noparse]HCBits]      ' Send the bits.
  LOW 12                                                                ' Enable the 74HC595
  PULSOUT pHCLtc, 1                                               ' Transfer to outputs.

enp.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Don't worry. Be happy

Comments

• dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-12 10:39
    Should I put a capacitor between Vdd and 10K?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-12 14:51
    You should put a capacitor (usually 0.1uF ceramic) between Vdd and Gnd on every chip, particularly a largish chip that might drive medium power loads like the 74HC595.

Your initialization "glitch" is better handled by using the /RESET line which will set all the outputs to zeros. Normally the /OE line is left with just the 10K pullup to Vdd.

If you have access to the reset pin on the Stamp, you would connect the /RESET line there so the 74HC595 would be reset whenever the Stamp is reset. The Stamp reset pin already has a pullup.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 7/12/2009 2:57:26 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-07-12 19:34
    Hello, I just read a post from you regarding this IC and a pull-up on the output. Please do not double post messages. Post follow-up replies in your original thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-07-12 20:53
    Sure Chris. It was related. Sry. Thx Mike.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-12 21:03
    Correction ... the /OE line needs to be tied to ground with a pulldown (so it's enabled). Sorry.
    edited 2009-07-12 22:15
    I figured that smile.gif Thx Mike.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy