Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Large current draw — Parallax Forums

Large current draw

dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
edited 2009-07-11 22:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I am stumped. The brain of my robot (a BS2p) now draws 300mA before I even start doing some serious work.
Particularly, the position controller draws 110mA without any external voltage connected to the HB-25's (motor mount wheel kit). Is this correct?

Following parts are connected:
- Two position controllers, connected to two HB-25's
- Two PING)))'s
- One 4x16 LCD
- One DS1302
- One PSC

I have 4200 mAH batteries. I'm thinking the robot's gonna walk for 5 minutes and die.
The batteries also drive another BS2p and a Javelin, but I left them out of this equation, as they draw very little current.

HELP!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Don't worry. Be happy

Comments

• HermieHermie Posts: 36
    edited 2009-07-11 18:52
    Take total power (4200mA) and divide by consumtion, in your present state...500mA. Providing your battery is working at 100% capacity, you'd be looking at 8 hours run time. However, most batteries don't like total discharge, so probably 6 hours would be more realistic. Of course as you add more parts, you'll have to recalulate.

Hermie
    edited 2009-07-11 18:54
    I re-read after I sent the previous...thought you said 500mA, but you said 300.....all the better! Make that 14 hours not 8

Hermie
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-11 19:39
    I wish it was that simple, but from testing the batteries die after an hour!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-11 19:50
    I think this might be related to a short that occured a while a ago. The connector on one of the batteries (6-pack) burned up when it happened. Could it be that this battery is damaged, and drawing all the current from the rest?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
    edited 2009-07-11 22:15
    Charge your battery to full capacity and attach something that draws an known amount of current, say a dc fan or light.·Time the discharge and do the math. That should tell you if you have a battery problem. If·you find you do and all else fails, before you toss the battery, try sticking it in the freezer for awhile. I've heard it will reset the battery through chemical reaction. HOWEVER, don't hold me to it!

Also if you think it's just one battery in the 6 pack that is bad. Use a simple volt meter and measure each one seperately, each should be close to the same voltage.

Hermie