Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS/Datalogger — Parallax Forums

GPS/Datalogger

ProphetProphet Posts: 6
edited 2009-07-13 16:23 in Accessories
Does anyone have a sample code where I can have GPS receiver module data save to a Data logger?
I have both GPS and the datta logger. The GPS works; however i don't know to save the longitude and latttude for later use.

one more question: from GPS receiver how to save each longitude and lattitude?
i'm having issues because from the debug only one data show at a time.

Please help!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-09 12:11
    You will have to take the sample code for the GPS module and the sample code for the datalogger and combine them.

The datalogger only stores one item at a time, so your program would save the longitude first, then the latitude next.

This sounds like a class project. You're going to have to do the work yourself.

You need to learn how to program the Stamp and what the various statements do. Start with the "What's a Microcontroller?"
    tutorial and also read the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual, both downloadable from Parallax. Go to the main Parallax
    webpage and click on the "Resources" tab. You'll get a list of links. Click on the "Download" link and you'll get another list. The
    tutorial is under "Stamps in Class Downloads" and the Manual is under "Stamp Documentation". There's other useful information
    there as well.
  • ProphetProphet Posts: 6
    edited 2009-07-09 19:17
    thank you! yes it is part of class project that is due next three weeks; the problem is that the computer Engineering partner from our project group could not finish the semester due to medical situation. So therefore, i'm taking over his load. I'm an ELECTRICAL Engineering. I have more work to do, this is why i'm asking for some help so I can speed up the process.

I know Parallax has useful documentations, My problem is time.................PLEASE help if you can...........Thank you in advance.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-09 19:37
    As I mentioned, download the manuals and tutorials and download the sample programs. Get each sample program to work by itself, then combine them. You may find that there isn't enough memory in the Stamp for the two sample programs to be combined without sharing some of the variable space. Read the Manual chapter on storage and aliases specifically. Spend some time browsing some of these forums for similar projects. Try the BASIC Stamp, Sensors, Stamps in Class, and Completed Projects forums.

You might also have a discussion with your professor to make sure he or she knows about your missing project group expertise.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-07-09 23:27
    I know it won't be available in time to help you but Elektor will be publishing exactly what you're looking for very soon. I submitted an article which logs GPS data into KML format for Google Earth. The resultant file is stored through the Datalogger onto a thumb drive and can be double-clicked on a PC to auto-load into Google Earth. As I said, this won't help you, but I did this using only the samples for each device as a starting point. I cannot release anything until the article has been published so I apologize for that. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • ProphetProphet Posts: 6
    edited 2009-07-10 06:29
    Thank you very much! please keep me posted of when the article will be published and released.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-07-10 17:44
    Prophet,

I’m going to go ahead and answer part of your PM here for everyone’s benefit…

For simplicity you want to have fixed length fields of data being written to the Datalogger. What I did was grab the Latitude, Longitude and Altitude and stored them as a comma delimited line of data. Every couple of seconds (you can choose your frequency) the GPS data is read and the data is stored on the memory card. When completed a button press would allow the Datalogger to close the file properly and disable writing additional data so the thumb drive could be removed.

As a note in the original application I needed this to happen automatically, so the prototype was powered by the vehicle’s battery power and the sense line was connected to the ignition. So when the vehicle was started the Datalogger would create a file and start logging coordinates. Once the vehicle was shut off, the file footer data was written and then the Datalogger shut down.

This setup is useful for fleet tracking, logging.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-07-13 16:23
    I saw the "preview" about the GPX datalogger on the last page of the Elektor magazine that was handed out at UPEW. I am looking forward to the article, as I am thinking of making my own portable GPS for GeoCaching. Figure if I buy the Parallax GPS module instead of a cheap Garmin GPS, I can use it for Stamp projects and for GeoCaching, so it's a cost-justified win-win.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio