Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where do you get wires for Pin headers? — Parallax Forums

Where do you get wires for Pin headers?

The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 37
edited 2009-07-10 12:11 in BASIC Stamp
For example, the BS2 Carrier Board (Parallax number 27120) has the 24 pins for the stamp brought out to 2 separate 12-pin headers.· I know you can use an LCD extention cable (Parallax number 805-00012) tro connect to these pins, but the black/red/white color code could cause problems.· Does anyone know where you can get connector wires for this style of header, either individual or maybe 3, 4, or 5-wire sets with plain gray wires & a red strip to identify orientation, or something similar? Any input would be appreciated.· Thanks!

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-07-08 18:55
    Try All Electronics - http://www.allelectronics.com - I use their servo cables they come in 4, 6, 12, 18, 24 and 36" lengths, 3 conductor, .1" OC, ideal for sliding over header pins. They range from $2.60 each to $4.50 each for the 36" one. Catalog numbers CON-404 through CON-436. Page 47 of their latest printed catalog, which you will receive eternally if you ever order from them! smile.gif

They have a LOT of stuff that is great for prototyping and hobbist work.

Dave X

Post Edited (xanatos) : 7/8/2009 7:51:12 PM GMT
  • phil kennyphil kenny Posts: 233
    edited 2009-07-08 19:08
    Another approach would be to buy a header strip such as

search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=929647-04-36-ND

and solder your own wire connections. That way you could have specific color
    wires you wanted them and to any desired length. More flexible than a pre-
    assembled cable.

The Digi-Key item in the link is a 36 position strip. Just break off the number of
    pins you need.

phil
  • The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 37
    edited 2009-07-08 19:55
    xanatos, I am aware of the servo cable idea, I am trying to avoid using the black/red/white color combination.

phil kenny, the DigiKey link you provided is for the male pins, which is what the carrier board already has on it. I am looking for the female connectors.

Any ideas?
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-07-08 21:36
    These come in different pin numbers www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CON-244/4-PIN-CONNECTOR-W/HEADER-.10-/-/1.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
  • jmalaysiajmalaysia Posts: 97
    edited 2009-07-08 21:59
    Here are 10 pin header connectors I use that fit just fine.· They have them in different sizes.· These are a whopping 49 cents each.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=571-4-640620-0&bdprt=1&projectguid=19ae8bad-bb8f-40ba-8c54-8a8fab19c21a&projectid=2234091
  • hmlittle59hmlittle59 Posts: 404
    edited 2009-07-08 23:34
    To The Doctor,

If,If,If...
    Like the Video Cable but with (2) female connectors NOT (3)...Then read on...

If you are talking about the Female connector like the shorting connector on some Mother boards but with wires(2) coming out, then yes "All Electronics" has some that will work, but they are not exactly the same. One is like the Battery connectors on Cordless House Phones Batteries, except with 7" wires(.26 in) connector and the other is like RC Battery (.52 in) connector. The price of them has no logic($0.75 & $1.75) if I recall correctly. I have ordered 4 different sets of cables from them at 2 different times and their shipping cost ain't cheap, ooouch!!!
    I have a need for 13 of them on my project and at those prices will not be cost effective and they do not fit next to each other in a 2x6 configuration. I'm now looking at the 2x5 or 6 mass terminating type connector but they will not be easy for me to build without special tools(maybe cheaper to purchase). I did not want to do a daughter board for now but maybe I will look in to it now that I've tried to find those cables(sooner then later). Five(5) switches for the Original Unit and (9) switches for the Expanded version. The Expanded Version I know will be reduced by (1) 5 position switch on a daughter board or Membrane(spelling) type switch. I've GOOGLE til I was CROSS EYED looking for the cables and have driven to all the Electronic stores and 2nd hand surplus places here in Austin, TX area. Goodwill Computer Surplus had some CD ROM Audio Cables for a $1.00 that worked for me(I cut them in half). That was a year ago and no more as of yet. Of course Fry's Electronics has the parts to build your own...BUT no I don't want to resort to that. We built these cables a DIME a Dozen years ago at the place I use to work, but man, I did not expect this, when it came time to purchase them for my KIT(s). SO, If we are talking about the same cable, well that's my RANT.
    Blame:The Designer...ME:The Finance Guy...ME:The Procurement Guy...ME: IN other words...ME ME ME.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'M STILL LEARNING SO MUCH...BUT STILL KNOW SO LITTLE!!!

hmlittle59
    edited 2009-07-09 15:59
    Thanks Mike! That should work.

hmlittle - No worries about your rant. I know how you feel.
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-07-09 17:37
    You can also get creative and butcher old mainframes. The pins can be removed and inserted with a jewler's scredriver (small). Hobby stores also carry them. Hates paying $5 shipping for a $2 item.
    edited 2009-07-09 17:45
    Prettybird, I don't happen to have any old mainframes lying around. smile.gif
  • RiJoRiRiJoRi Posts: 157
    edited 2009-07-09 19:45
    Search the Web for manufacturers and see if they offer "Engineering Samples." I worked for a company that made ALL their prototypes with those samples. I know I got some from Samtec 'way back in the late 80's. Haven't needed any connectors since then...

--Rich
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-07-10 09:17
    I scavange old TVs people disrequard sometimes. Even old CD players and cassette deck radios have plug in cables. All are .1" most of the time. I have vely little money to buy stuff but wires are wires. I have also got some good IR sensors from TVs. As I said in hard times get creative. Just trying to help.
    edited 2009-07-10 12:11
    I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks!