Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Submarine Sonar Sound — Parallax Forums

Submarine Sonar Sound

EugalazEugalaz Posts: 39
edited 2009-07-11 06:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I hope someone could help with a question about the Freqout command..
I am trying to create a Submarine Sonar Sound (you know the Ping sound) that I can output to my Audio Amplifier AppMod using the Freqout command.
Could someone point me in the right direction if this has already been answered or perhaps show the right code for this sound? confused.gif
Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-07-08 13:42
    BTW, did you know that IFAW is planning a lawsuit agains the US military for using these sonars?
    When the military test them, they have an output of 120dB, equivalent to a Saturn V2 rocket, and they kill wales and marine life in large numbers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    /dev/null
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-07-08 13:59
    Get a grip, mate.· The guy only wants to make a sound-effect like in the movies or "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea."
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-07-08 14:04
    Ummm, no the military sonar does not kill animals...

Even if it did, so what. Thousands of animals are killed on roads. I guess we should outlaw driving...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The needy are many, the deserving are few.

·
    edited 2009-07-08 14:30
    When you see 50 whales on the beach in Lanzarote bleeding out their eyes you get another feeling.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    /dev/null
    edited 2009-07-08 14:43
    What, the same feeling as when you see 10,000 dead deer on the highway ?

See, I can make up ridiculous fantasy scenarios to justify my position too.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2009-07-08 14:50
    Whatever. If anyone's really interested, here's a link:

www.ifaw.org/ifaw_united_states/media_center/press_releases/02_06_2008_41332.php

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    /dev/null
    edited 2009-07-08 15:07
    Odd, nothing in that link about 50 dead whales with blood coming from their eyes...

Look, there are lots of things we humans do that injure animals. But people just choose to ban the one's that don't affect them directly. Or make the feel good about themselves that they are "saving" these animals.

I'm sure the sonar is annoying to the whales, but they are free to leave the area. And I'm sure the military can detect whales and scare them away before using the high power sonar.

This thread has really gotten off-base, and I'll admit I'm to blame. So this is my last post in this thread.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • SandgroperSandgroper Posts: 62
    edited 2009-07-08 15:22
    Back to the subject:

It's worth having at look at "Customising and Programming the Basic Stamp" by J Scott Edwards.· There is some information there on sonars in general, as well·using the basic stamp to create various sound effects.·

Also, have a look at the information in the stamp manual on creating DTFM tones.· "Nuts and Volts" column #67 (November 2000) has some information as well.· It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's a start.· It can offer·insights into how to approach the problem.

One thing's for sure, you will need to create two frequencies to give you that "ring" so typical of echos.· You will also need to control the volume to imitate the "fade".·

It might be easier to download a .wav file for the ping sound and use that instead - but that's not as much fun as making your own sounds!
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-07-08 15:23
    Apparently the Coast Guard is no longer allowed to practice with live ammo in the ocean so the Oregon Coast Guard is coptering in a boat to our local shooting range and will be firing 50 cal machine guns from a helecopter about 1/8 mile from the freeway. Go figure (but I'm going to watch if I find out when they are going to do this)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen

Post Edited (Franklin) : 7/8/2009 4:33:25 PM GMT
  • Larry~Larry~ Posts: 242
    edited 2009-07-08 15:34
    Just look for·the BOAT flying by
    Franklin said...
    Apparently the Coast Guard is no longer allowed to practice with live ammo in the ocean so the Oregon Coast Guard is coptering in a boat to our local shooting range and will be firing 50 cal machine guns from a helecopter about 1/8 mile from the freeway. Go figure (but I'm going to watch if I find out when they are going to do this)
    As to the OP, I don't think the stamps will make an acceptable sound generator for the type of sound you want. You will probably need to get some device that can play .wav or .mp3 files.
    edited 2009-07-08 15:38
    Here's a starting point.· It's not a ping sound, but it could give you ideas.· IN14 is just a start button.·

Start:
    IF IN14=0 THEN tone

GOTO start

Tone:
    ·FREQOUT speaker,1000,900,905
    ·FREQOUT speaker,1000,1000,1005
    ·FREQOUT speaker,1000,800,805
    ·FREQOUT speaker,1000,400,405
    ·FREQOUT speaker,2000,600,605
    GOTO start

Enjoy!
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-07-08 21:27
    Sub sonar is killing sea life and at more than 250db (actual figures are top sectret) the sonar is deadly at over 80 miles in water. Then the Government used the words "Necessary for national security" and the law suit died on the vine, before if got started.
  • EugalazEugalaz Posts: 39
    edited 2009-07-08 22:39
    Thank you to PJ Allen & Sandgroper for understanding the question and staying on point.
    I didn't realise that this was a political forum.
    It always amuses me how easy it is to be green. The ultimate extension of green is no Prallax, no technology and no forums on line so free speach would be relegated to around the camp fire talk.
    Perhaps a better place to discuss political issues would be Liberal_Left_R_Us or their sister site Extreme_Right_R_Us.com and leave the parallax forums to Parallax and the extension of their technology.. Just an idea.
    Again thank you to PJ Allen & Sandgroper for their help in this matter.
    edited 2009-07-08 22:50
    Oh and by the way,
    I'm realy glad that I didn't ask for help on my other project which is a Stamp controlled harpoon!
    What a thread that would have started..
    edited 2009-07-08 23:27
    BTW sandgroper that Ping sound is really great. I added it to my project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    /dev/null
    edited 2009-07-09 10:25
    I'm glad you liked it.·
    edited 2009-07-09 11:06
    Thank you Sandgroper, very nice. It will certainly help me get on the right track.
    You know I'm surprised someone with some experiance with tones hasn't already coded this sound as i'm sure alot of people with the Ping))) module would add that sound in their projects for that something extra. If I can figure it out I will certainly post resut here.
  • ceruleanplainsceruleanplains Posts: 11
    edited 2009-07-09 19:12
    i'm sorry, i missed what audio equipment you used. not the piezo buzzer/speaker that comes with the kits right?· have an image?
    edited 2009-07-10 01:36
    I'm using the Parallax Audio Amplifier AppMod. No longer being sold but used to attach to the BoeBot.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-07-10 21:50
    Check the Penguin Robot Sticky and postings for links to hundreds of sounds.
    I think there should be at least one that could be modified to sound like a
    submarine sonar from the movies.

humanoido
    edited 2009-07-11 06:33
    Thank you humanoido