Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sin and Sout — Parallax Forums

Sin and Sout

EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 21
edited 2009-07-07 19:28 in BASIC Stamp
Sin and Sout are the programmable rs232 serial pins for the basic stamp. Recently, I bought an easy/no fuss, rs232 shifter. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449 It takes any signal from your com port, makes it a safe voltage and interfaces it to most microcontrollers. I tried connecting this rs232 shifter to Sin and Sout but had no luck.
connections:
tx ---> sin
rx ---> sout
I am hoping to use the rs232 shifter to program my basic stamp. If anyone knows about Sin ans Sout's protocals that would also be nice.

Comments

• phil kennyphil kenny Posts: 233
    edited 2009-07-07 15:16
    I'm curious why you chose to use that part.

What is the RS-232 source? If it is a standard PC Com port, no extra
    hardware is needed.

Can you attach a rough schematic of the circuit you are using?

phil
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-07 15:22
    You don't need an RS232 level shifter for the Sin/Sout signals. In fact, it will interfere with programming. There are schematics showing how to connect a Stamp to an RS232 port. Look at page 28 of the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual (www.parallax.com/tabid/440/Default.aspx)
  • EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 21
    edited 2009-07-07 18:01
    I am using that component because it is easy to solder to any simple PCB. Since attaching that component to Sin/Sout will probably not work, can attaching to any of the I/O pins work? And if so, is it possible to program the stamp using any of the other pins? Although I have the feeling that Parallax has designed the stamp so that only Sin/Sout are programmable.

I am using this component because I am making a circuit which relays info to my client via bluetooth. This component is there just in case the bluetooth fails. However, I am also interested to know if I can also use this component to program stamps (which is probably unlikely without a redesign of the stamp's architecture). Also I didn't attach a circuit because my circuit is just stamp + component. Thanks everyone. Much appreciated as always. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-07 19:28
    You can only program a Stamp via Sin/Sout/Attn. You must have all three connected as shown in the Manual. You cannot program it via Bluetooth (or WiFi). It must be a direct serial (or serial via USB) connection. The download timing is too tight to work over a wireless connection.

The Sin/Sout/Attn wiring can be used for data as well as programming. The DEBUG and DEBUGIN statements will use that serial port and the SEROUT and SERIN statements will also work there if you use pin # 16 (see the Manual for details).

You can use your RS232 adapter with any pair of I/O pins (0-15) using SEROUT and SERIN.