Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hacking rc toys — Parallax Forums

Hacking rc toys

OLD MANOLD MAN Posts: 2
edited 2009-07-15 06:05 in BASIC Stamp
·when hacking a rc toy,at what point on the toy circuit board do you connect to in order to use the homework board. Trying to build a microcontroller to control· a toy car.· most toy rc (small ones) that have 4.5 volt dc motors. Have collected 8 different toy car boards. Most look alike. Suggestions?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-07-06 19:52
    You will need some kind of motor driver for the DC motor. There are plenty of examples on the Wikipedia (H-bridge) and from Parallax. The Stamp Professional Development Board has an H-bridge on it and there are some projects in the StampWorks Manual on the subject. The "What's a Microcontroller?" and Nuts and Volts Column #6 show how to control small motors / solenoids / relays using a switching transistor.

You'll have to come up with a schematic for the toy car to try to figure out the RC part unless you just want to sense what voltage is applied to the motor.

Parallax Tutorials: www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx

Nuts and Volts Columns: www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx
  • RiJoRiRiJoRi Posts: 157
    edited 2009-07-06 19:53
    SUGGESTION:
    TURN OFF THE CAPSLOCK KEY, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING AT US!

Hopefully, you'll get some answers. RC is not my cuppa tea.

--Rich
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2009-07-06 20:37
    I haven't hacked a RC toy but I use some RC stuff for robots and hacked some cheap kits such as (http://superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=484).
    If you just want to reuse the mechanical side then one of the things that maybe helpful is to replace the motor. I have used stuff that uses a low voltage (3V) high current motor such as this one http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/77 . While you can build H-bridge to drive it its a pain to interface to a micro and pre-built H-bridge for that current are expensive. I find its cheaper to replace the motor with http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/604 . Its the same size as the other motor but takes a higher voltage (6-9V) and lower current so its easier/cheaper to build a H-bridge.
    You will have to check if the toy you have uses the right size motor but if they use Tamiya parts then its pretty likely.
  • OLD MANOLD MAN Posts: 2
    edited 2009-07-15 00:36
    Thanks to all who replied. i found helpful info in the "robot builders bonanza" book . thanks again.
  • aev.308aev.308 Posts: 6
    edited 2009-07-15 06:05
    rip out the original board and wire the motor wires into your stamp.· most of the servos that I have seen on comercial rc cars are different than regular servos that we use.· I mean they have more than 3 wires going to them so I don't know what to tell you about them.· staying with the tank type rc cars solves that problem though.