Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Model Police LED Lights for .3mm and 1.8mm lights — Parallax Forums

Model Police LED Lights for .3mm and 1.8mm lights

MBPDMBPD Posts: 6
edited 2009-07-07 14:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

Looking to run staedy·head lights and·tail lamps, Wig Wag frontlights, light bar controlled stobes and led display showing differnet patterns. I was wondering if I'm on the right track with the Basic Stamp. I have used leds with a 9 volt and now ready for some more action that I was told could be done with the Stamp 1 or Stamp 2 using a micro contoller. I also have someone in the family that know C++ and is a data base delveoper. Any help with my goal· of lighting a model diecast police car would be great learning experience. Thanks BBshakehead.gif

Comments

• MBPDMBPD Posts: 6
    edited 2009-07-06 17:15
    By the way the scale of the police model car is 1:18 1:24 and 1:16 several different sizes Thanks BB
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-07-06 18:29
    Hi BB, the BS2·should do what you want. I would start by laying out your hardware and calculating the current requirement and how many IO pins you are going to need. Remember the Stamps operate at 5 volt and their current is limited , if you step outside of these limits you will need additional hardware to interface your lights to the processor.

You can buy a development board or carrier board to proto type your circuit and code. Build and test one step at a time it will get easier as you go.

Any questions you have or thoughts on what I have said will get answered in this forum . So use the Parallax resources and I have no doubt you will succeed with your project.

Jeff T.
    edited 2009-07-06 19:25
    Jeff,
    what model would be best for the BS2 with a 9 volt bat. Plus can that be coded with micro contoller. Not sure what you mean by development board or carrier board. Should I just buy the basic kit and learn from the start and build my way to the BS2 model. Here are some links of what I others are doing and I'm trying to get the terms dowm like PCB. And was wondering ifthe BS2 is too big for the car. Thanks for your time Jeff.

...Brian

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-07-07 00:23
    Hi Brian, heres a link to the Parallax product page that carries their development boards

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/137/List/0/CategoryID/12/Level/a/SortField/0/Default.aspx

The video you provided was pretty much what I imagined it would be. I would think a carrier board would fit check the dimensions, with the carrier board you have to purchase the BS2 as a separate item. Any of the BS2's will do for your project.

The carrier board has a small printed circuit area for soldering components if you wish and also has terminals for a 9v battery.

Heres a link to the various stamp modules

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/134/List/0/CategoryID/9/Level/a/SortField/0/Default.aspx

The modules have a voltage regulator and serial interface built in·, combined with a carrier board they are ready to go (don't forget to download the programming interface (IDE) from the Parallax download page).

Jeff T.
    edited 2009-07-07 03:16
    Jeff, thanks for your time. what items should be on the cars when done to run the lights?

Thanks for looking out for my post. I will work on it this week and send you a reply to see if I'm headed in the rigt direction BB
    edited 2009-07-07 03:18
    Jeff, thanks for your time. what items should be on the cars when done to run the lights?

Thanks for looking out for my post. I will work on it this week and send you a reply to see if I'm headed in the rigt direction BB
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-07-07 03:35
    Done that, using MAX7219. Let me know if you are interested in the acutal program. (It is not ready for forum ).
    I stopped development and my program will not do simultaneous lights - for example turn signal· and the red/ blue· flashing "bar".
    Just a matter of adding nested timing loops.
    Cheers Vaclav
    ·
  • Fire301Fire301 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-07-07 06:20
    I used the Basic Stamp 2 and used 144 LEDs to make a blue light for my car.· (I'm a FireFighter)· I have 36 LEDs in each corner of my car with about 6 diferrent flash paterns.· Works great
    edited 2009-07-07 11:53
    Fire301 what model of stamp 2 did you use. And did you use your computer to program the Stamp 2 and did the Stamp 2 fit on your custom model?

Thanks BB
  • dredre Posts: 106
    edited 2009-07-07 14:33
    I know this is not the application you want but would this link help?

http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=69.0

cheers, David