Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need Help with LCD — Parallax Forums

Need Help with LCD

onimenoonimeno Posts: 4
edited 2009-07-02 03:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hai, im new with BS2 and i bought 2x16 LCD but not from parallax.
My question is, how to program it so i can write the top side with some text, and the bottom one to show my speed from encoder?

Thank You for your reply

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-07-01 18:38
    Well, if it's not from Parallax, that leaves only how many possibilities? smile.gif Seriously - more info needed. Is it a serial or parallel unit, what kind of driver chip does it employ, etc? Chances are if you look up the part number and get the datasheet on the unit, you can find out if it's equivalent to the Parallax display (many are as they use the same driver chip).

If it IS equivalent then there is a wealth of information and sample code available on the parallax website as a download from the product page for the LCD display.

If it is a parallel display, you may want to consider buying the parallax serial display - they're inexpensive, and use only 1 pin on your Stamp, rather than 8. I thought I was getting a deal when I bought a handful of 2x16 displays for $5.00, but they were all parallel and took more out of my stamp than it was worth. With the serial displays, all you need is a single serout command to send data and commands to it.

And as you'll see there are command constants defined in the code for the parallax or equivalent displays that tell the display to do exactly what you are looking for. It is very simple to position data where you want it on the displays.

Let us know when you have the data on the display.

Dave
  • onimenoonimeno Posts: 4
    edited 2009-07-02 02:35
    I'm using LMB162A for the LCD and yes it is pararrel, actually its quite difficult to find parralax in here. And i have 1 week to go for my dead line. I already try some demo of LCD, but i still confuse how to split between top side and bottom side.

Ronnie
  • rixterrixter Posts: 95
    edited 2009-07-02 03:54
    Ronnie,

It is difficult to say where you may be going wrong without posting some code or diagram, but from what I'm seeing in the spec sheet, this should not be much different than other parallel LCDs. Line two starts at position 64 (40hex), so an LCDOUT command like the following should work provided your Enable connection from your LCD is connected to pin 0 of the Stamp:

LCDOUT 0,64, [noparse][[/noparse]"testing line #2"]

Look up LCDCMD in the BASIC Stamp Help screen to learn more about hooking up the LCD to the Stamp. Match those to the specs for this unit on page 3: http://www.pic16.com/wzsl/lma162a.pdf

It looks like the same pinouts as the Parallax example.

Rick

Post Edited (rixter) : 7/2/2009 3:59:16 AM GMT