Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Little Step-U vs BiStep motor controller. — Parallax Forums

Little Step-U vs BiStep motor controller.

WebheadFredWebheadFred Posts: 27
edited 2009-07-02 05:20 in BASIC Stamp
I've purchased these two controllers. I used the Little Step-U to control an Oriental Motor PK244M-02B motor. I've connected it as described in the documentation and the motor seems to work. I could never get it to step at a faster rate than 250 steps per second. Even at this rate, the motor would shudder sometimes and the torque was too low for my application. Scratching my head and thinking towards another solution I thought I'd try the BiStep motor controller as it would handle a bipolar motor. Well it arrived. Before ordering another motor, I thought I'd try the OE motor again. I thought I'd wire it bipolar at first as I thought it may give the better RPM. Instead I wired it as a unipolar and use the sample code just to check things out. It worked as expected for the test. HOWEVER, while modifying the code to see if I had the same limitations as before, I found that it was stepping along happily at 800 steps per second with more top end and all the torque I could use. Anyone have any idea why this would be? I'm using a BS2px24 and the PDB. I'm happy with the results with the BiStep but thought someone may have an insight on the differences.

Regards,

Fred

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Why be one if you can't act like one? Knoxville, TN

Comments

• unknownunknown Posts: 10
    edited 2009-07-02 05:20
    The Bi-step can use a power supply of 6.5 to 15 V, bit the Little Step U says in the catalog that its only supported voltage is 35 V, so it might be that the Little Step U might not have enough power. Is there enough?
    Controller name Power requirements
    Bi-step 6.5 - 15 V, 1 A
    Little Step U 35 V, 3 A