Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A friend gave me a BASIC STAMP [pic] — Parallax Forums

A friend gave me a BASIC STAMP [pic]

shamooshamoo Posts: 5
edited 2009-07-03 03:20 in BASIC Stamp
A friend of mine has given me the following BASIC STAMP and I had a few questions.

1. I am new to STAMPS/embedded systems/etc etc. I know some basic python. Is this STAMP meant for newbs? Whats the significance of this specific STAMP, such as what are you supposed to learn with this kit?

2. Is this kit complete? I think All I need is a serial cable, and more wires.

3. Where can I buy these additional wires/resistors? Radio Shack I am guessing....

4. Is there a guide or something to get me started on this? I did some googling and found this http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/boards/hwb.pdf

Thanks!

photogox.jpg

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-06-29 20:47
    Start with the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual under BASIC Stamp Documentation here:

www.parallax.com/tabid/477/Default.aspx

and the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial under Stamps in Class Downloads at the same link.

For some of the exercises in the tutorial, you will need some LEDs and a few resistors / capacitors / switches
    all of which you could get at a place like RadioShack.

A serial cable would be helpful. If you have a USB-only computer without its own serial port, you will need a
    compatible USB to serial adapter. Not all USB to serial adapters will work with Parallax microcontrollers.
    Those that use an FTDI chipset will work. Others may not.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2009-06-29 21:38
    Hi Shamoo,

Mike's pointing you down the right track. The "What's a Microcontroller?" book is the best place to get started, and there are MANY things to do afterwards. The BASIC Stamp HomeWork Board has an on-board BS2, which is the microcontroller module at the center of our Stamps in Class series.

If you need help finding the parts used in "What's a Microcontroller?" you can see the full listing here. You can buy the parts as a kit, and most of the components separately, from Parallax. The parts are pretty common though and you should be able to find them at RadioShack or similar places. We no longer have the 7-segment LED separately anymore, so if you buy one from somewhere else, make sure it has a common cathode,·that is,·all of the LEDs in it share a common ground. ·Here's an example from DigiKey that works.

The programming software you will need is the BASIC Stamp Editor which is a free download.·

A compatible·USB to Serial adapter Mike mentioned is available here.

Have fun!

-Steph
  • shamooshamoo Posts: 5
    edited 2009-06-29 23:25
    thanks guys
    edited 2009-06-29 23:45
    Whats kind of things can be done with this STAMP? I am guessing blinking LEDs, turning a motor....
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-06-30 00:28
    Just about anything, including starting a new business! I bought "What's A Microcontroller" from Radio Shack just a couple of months ago, and it's taken on quite a life of its own.

Microcontrollers are designed to control real-world, and very useful, functions. Industrial and aerospace process controls are where you will find these things in greatest numbers. Not only can they make things blink or turn, they can do it in precise and pre-programmed ways that allow you to control automated processes of all sorts. As you progress in having fun with these things, you'll find that there are a myriad of extraordinarily useful things you can hook them up to. I am designing a home-control system that I can control from my iPod touch. This is accomplished using another Parallax product, the PINK Server (Parallax Internet Netburner Kit). This allows me to create a web page embedded in the little server (it's about the size of a business card). I stick a cat-5 cable in the thing, and the other end in my wireless router, and whenever I open a browser and point it to my PINK Server's address, I have the ability to control anything I've hooked up to the system. I'm putting my wife's EXTENSIVE garden watering system on it as well, using an RF link I found as a result of another project, that uses something called the XBee module (digi.com), which allows me to talk to one Stamp from another wirelessly from the approximately 400 foot range (the module actually claims a six MILE range, but I like a wide margin of error!) The remote system in the corner of the garden is entirely solar powered, and operated the inexpensive solenoid valves by Orbit you can get in any Home Depot or Lowes.

So as for what you can do with these things - you're only limited by imagination. And budget! smile.gif

Have fun - these things are awesome!

Dave
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-06-30 13:08
    @Xanatos, You forgot the issue of "Time". I've got too much imagination a reasonable budget but not enough time to get it all done NOW! LOL

@Shamoo, If you are interested in Programming and electronics then what you have is an outstanding place to start. Parallax and this community have done a great job in providing all the information that you will need in order to cut your teeth in this field. If you get stuck and need help just post your questions here. Somebody here is always willing to help. As for parts you might also keep a look out for old used electronics such as VCRs, Computer Power supplies, Printers, and what ever else you can find that has threw the hole mounted components.

A word of warning. "This can really become addictive." As you might be able to tell. Dave above is a Micro-controller Junkie! wink.gif
    edited 2009-06-30 16:22
    Awesome! Im on FreeBSD so hopefully I can get the linux editor working on it :/
    edited 2009-06-30 22:37
    Microcontroller Junkie? Me??? Nahhhh.... smile.gif
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-07-03 03:11
    IC still in denial! LOL I'm a Micro controller junkie and I don't have a problem with it.
    edited 2009-07-03 03:20
    I think I should have said that I'm NOT a junkie - because junkie is far to diminutive of a term to describe the level of my addiction! smile.gif