Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pink IP address Read — Parallax Forums

Pink IP address Read

Larry~Larry~ Posts: 242
edited 2010-04-07 23:43 in BASIC Stamp
Can I set the pink to use DHCP, Set my Modem/router/DSL to DMZ, then read my non static IP address given by DSL? Then using the Stamp BS2, compaire this address to the last·saved. If this address has changed Email the new address to my cell phone and then save this new address to memory, for later compaire.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-06-29 20:26
    Larry,

Not sure I follow you…the PINK can read its own IP address and you could report a change to that. But if your DSL IP changes, the PINK has no way of knowing that because it does get that address. Now, on the other hand, you could UDP a message to a remote system and the source IP will be available that way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • Larry~Larry~ Posts: 242
    edited 2009-06-29 22:04
    Chris I think if i use DMZ through my DSL modem/router the address of the pink will be my dsl address. This is how I set up my Ubuntu server and the server was hooked straight to the internet this way. The only problem every day or three they would refresh my connection and that would changemy IP address. There was software that would update my domains servers (http://www.dyndns.com/)they also have free domains when using the pink or web IP cameras. If I could have my stamp check this and update me I could always have the path to the pink webpages from any computer or even the cell phone This would also be helpfull when using an IP Cameras.
    Just checking before I buy!
    edited 2009-06-29 22:07
    I am thinking of putting sensors arround the house and any time something breaks the sensors (ir prox) the stamp will send an email ( text to the phone) of which sensor and the time. On second thought Ill bet I could control stuff arround the house with my cell phone on the web. There is no Law here california ·(YET) about surfing the web while driving

Post Edited (Larry~) : 6/29/2009 10:16:21 PM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-06-30 01:09
    Try these guys www.dyndns.com/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-06-30 16:34
    Hi yes I know about dyndns I use them

This is a domain name server service,·but if my ISP changes my address ( 75.15.123.198 to 75.15.121.189)·I need to update this service to reflect this change. So if the pink is running through the dsl modem/router and is setup to pass through (DMZ mode)·which (i think) will allow it to have the DSL address assigned to it. And if the pink can check its own address and be read by the stamp then I can email (text) myself anytime there is a change in my dsl address.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-07-01 04:07
    When I was using it there was a program that ran on the local computer that would check for the IP address and send changes to dyndns.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-07-01 15:05
    You are Correct, I may have stated what Im trying to do incorrectly. This is not for my server I have long sense stoped using my own server and switched to a service. This will be for the pink as a server. I was going to monitor movement and have the stamp/ping send text to my cell phone,
    I just want to know where the pink is at all times so I can use its webpages from anywhere.
    edited 2009-07-01 20:47
    Larry,

On my system when I use DMZ the PINK still has a local intranet address.

I had posted on here seom details of my own home-brew alarm system which is quite impressive. I would say if you wait a month or so I will be publishing my home alarm system project which also includes a PINK interface, but two things have hampered me publishing the details of the system...It was working flawlessly and sending me text messages whenever a zone was breached or optionally when even normal (authorized) activity took place. My ISP recently changed to different ports for the outgoing mail and requires SSL causing my text messages to stop working. When I first developed the system I was in a cubicle which had an outside line with a STATIC IP coming right to my desk. So what I did for the short term was have the system send UDP messages to a box on my desk. These messages also gave me the updated status as well as the current IP address @ my house and I could then login to the web interface using that address. However my new office has no such outside access line and is on a different part of our network. Until I find a new work-around I probably won't do anything else with it. But I do hope to come up with something soon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-07-02 02:08
    Ok here is a possable workarround it will cost less then $4.00 a month for this web hosting plan which gives you email you can also purchase your own domain $9.95 a year or use a free one. pinksavage.net is available if your intrested
    now one more thing if you email a computer from the pink check the header information for sent from address, this should show your dsl address to get to the pinks web page incase it changes. Does the pink only use specific ports ? or can they be changed what are these ports ?
    for this site you will need incoming pop3 of 110 and outgoing smtp of 587
    now you guys sell the netburner kit and could make some program changes to your existing software which would allow SSL

http://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/hosting.bml
    edited 2009-07-03 20:52
    ·
    Well if all else fails read the manual
    So the pink only uses port 25 with or without Authentication
    Doing some research I find that port 465 is used with SSL and authentication
    And port 587 is used with and without authentication it seems most ISPs are getting away from port 25 because of the spam factor
    Now how hard would it be to change the program that Parallax wrote in the PINK to use 587 instead of 25 would they be willing to let us have access to this program or sell two versions of this nice product.
    I would like to know if there are lots of people who's ISP is still using port 25 in outlook its under Tools, Account Settings, then click on one of your email accounts then More Settings, Advanced its the SMTP setting.
    edited 2009-07-04 23:04
    Actually the subject of changing the PINK firmware to support other ports has come up many times. The problem is that every server (we’ve ever seen) that uses a non-standard port also uses SSL. The PINK firmware does not currently support SSL making the port change moot. Once there is SSL support we were already planning to address changing the SMTP port. At that time we’ll look at any other changes we wish to make as well. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-07-05 00:09
    While you're considering port changes and SSL for the firmware, if you'd consider making a separate way to write to the 20 FLASH vars on the PINK from a user-created HTML page so that it would create non-volatile storage... PLEEEEEEZEEEE smile.gif LOL!

Dave
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-04-07 23:43
    Have any of you tried www.no-ip.com? It is a bit different than dyndns in that your IP address will always be the same. It cost like $10.00 per year and works great. I use it for any of my CCTV clients that want camera access but do not have or can not get a static IP.