Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo controller - BS2 says, 'No one's out there' — Parallax Forums

Servo controller - BS2 says, 'No one's out there'

WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
edited 2009-07-09 19:35 in BASIC Stamp
After spending a very successful morning experimenting with the RF transmitter/receiver (GREAT products), I set out to tackle the "easier" servo experiments this afternoon.· The servo·did respond·with a direct connect to the BS2 using the PULSOUT command, however·the result contained an·unacceptable amount of "hunting"·as the servo saught it's resting position.··Then I·installed·the Parallax Servo Controller.· And now...·many hours later, I'm happy to report that·the servo is no longer "hunting"· - likely because the BS2 is·now·"hunting" for the contoller.·
·
Tried the following code straight from the lit:

'{$PBASIC 2.5}
Sdat PIN 15 ' Serial Data I/O pin
Baud CON 396 ' Constant for 2400 baud
buff VAR Byte(3) ' temporary variable
FindPSC: ' Find and get the version
DEBUG "Finding PSC", CR ' number of the PSC.
SEROUT Sdat, Baud+$8000, [noparse][[/noparse]"!SCVER?",CR]
SERIN Sdat, Baud, 500, FindPSC, [noparse][[/noparse]STR buff\3]
DEBUG "PSC ver: ", buff(0), buff(1), buff(2), CR
STOP
DEBUG says, "Finding PSC" over and over, but never finds it
Ver A of the board is·detailed in the data sheets, however I have a ver B board.· seems there's an extra set of pins with a jumper (maybe more)... but then i tried it with and without - still "hunting".
I've read some other posts re the PSC and communication with this board seems to have frustrated others as well.·
Any thoughts on the subject?· (Yes the red lt is on and the grn light is flashing, so I'm guessing the board isn't DOA)

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2009-06-28 11:43
    Wildatheart said...
    After spending a very successful morning experimenting with the RF transmitter/receiver (GREAT products), I set out to tackle the "easier" servo experiments this afternoon.· The servo·did respond·with a direct connect to the BS2 using the PULSOUT command, however·the result contained an·unacceptable amount of "hunting"·as the servo saught it's resting position.··Then I·installed·the Parallax Servo Controller.· And now...·many hours later, I'm happy to report that·the servo is no longer "hunting"· - likely because the BS2 is·now·"hunting" for the contoller.·
    ·

'{$PBASIC 2.5}
    STOP
    Ver A of the board is·detailed in the data sheets, however I have a ver B board.· seems there's an extra set of pins with a jumper (maybe more)... but then i tried it with and without - still "hunting".
    I've read some other posts re the PSC and communication with this board seems to have frustrated others as well.·
    Any thoughts on the subject?· (Yes the red lt is on and the grn light is flashing, so I'm guessing the board isn't DOA)
    The documentation on the Parallax site has the Rev B update.
    http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/PSC/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/376/Default.aspx

Obvious checks:
    Leave jumper off for Chan 0-15
    Make sure 3 pin connector (from the BS2)·is in the top left socket (next to the cap) with the black wire up.
    Switch is on

Looks like you code is OK.

Jim
    edited 2009-06-28 12:42
    OK,

Just hooked up my Rev B PSC to Development board with a BS2 chip. I can poll for the Ver # (1.3). Findings:

I doesn't matter·if the jumper is installed or not·on the polling program.

It doesn't matter if the switch is on or off (it's the switch for the servo power)

The only other thig I can think off, are you using a standard BS2 or BS2P or BS2PX? If it's not a·BS2, you will have to change the baudmode to a value that matches your chip. The tables are in the Stamp Manual under SERIN and SEROUT commands.

I assume you are using a BS2 from the description of your problem, But the chip directive statment does not show up in the code you posted, (should be·the first line in your code).

Jim
    Wildatheart said...
    ·

'{$PBASIC 2.5}
    STOP
  • CyrillCyrill Posts: 3
    edited 2009-07-07 22:53
    Hi there I had the same problem with a BS 2SX .Till I found out that different modules have differnt Baud rates.

And those are for 8 bit, no-parity, true.

Also make sure that there is a ground connection between you PSC·(servo is already grounded to it)·and the Stamp Vss.

········· BS2, BS2E, BS2PE·······································BS2SX, BS2P································BS2PX
    Baud··CON 396· ' Constant for 2400 baud····· ··········Baud··CON·1021······················ Baud··CON 1646
    Baud· CON 188· ' Constant for 4800 baud····· ··········Baud··CON·500······················ ·Baud··CON·813·
    Baud CON 84··· ' Constant for 9600 baud······· ······ ··Baud··CON·240························Baud··CON 396
    Baud· CON 32··· ' Constant for 19K2 baud·········· · ···Baud··CON·110························Baud·CON 188·

BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual 2.2
    www.parallax.com Page 397

' {$STAMP BS1} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 1 module
    ' {$STAMP BS2} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 2 module
    ' {$STAMP BS2e} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 2e module
    ' {$STAMP BS2sx} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 2sx module
    ' {$STAMP BS2p} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 2p module
    ' {$STAMP BS2pe} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 2pe module

' {$STAMP BS2px} 'This indicates to use a BASIC Stamp 2px module·

Page 32
    BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual 2.2 www.parallax.com

'{$STAMP BS2}

' {$PBASIC 2.5}

STOP

·

Post Edited (Cyrill) : 7/9/2009 7:12:55 PM GMT
    edited 2009-07-07 23:43
    Cyrill said...

Hi there I had the same problem with a BS 2SX

·

#SELECT $STAMP
    #CASE BS2, BS2E, BS2PE
    T2400 CON 396
    T4800 CON 188
    T9600 CON 84
    T19K2 CON 32
    #CASE BS2SX, BS2P
    T2400 CON 1021
    T4800 CON 500
    T9600 CON 240
    T19K2 CON 110
    #CASE BS2PX
    T2400 CON 1646
    T4800 CON 813
    T9600 CON 396
    T19K2 CON 188
    #ENDSELECT

Baud CON T2400
    'Baud CON T4800
    'Baud CON T9600
    'Baud CON T19K2

@Cyrill

A little confusing. Are you posting code that poses a problem or fixes the original poster's problem. I'm thinking the latter.

Jim
  • CyrillCyrill Posts: 3
    edited 2009-07-09 19:35
    Hi Jim sorry about that , I edit mine mail· hope its better this way. Also had problems with the PSC .

Had to figure out:

that you always have to ground your servo's to the controller .

That you need the correct Baud rate.

and that the derective musn't be forgotten.

Just like the solutions you gave· .posted them· so its easyer to see·for all with the same problem.

Have a nice day

Cyrill