Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PCB fab houses — Parallax Forums

PCB fab houses

Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
edited 2009-08-01 13:48 in General Discussion
I've made a couple of pcbs using ExpressPCB, and like the software, but the price isn't so great. So I was wondering what software people were using and what PCB fab houses.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
My website www.quigleyelectronics.com/

Comments

• Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2009-06-25 23:06
    diptrace and ourpcb. Good results with both.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-06-26 00:06
    Pulsonix software. PCB Pool, PCBtrain and Eurocircuits for prototype PCBs.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-06-26 00:35
    Eagle

Gold Phoenix is very cheap to get boards made.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
    edited 2009-06-26 00:37
    Cool, this helps a lot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My website www.quigleyelectronics.com/
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2009-06-28 16:14
    Eagle.

PCBCart or Advanced Circuits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-06-30 00:47
    Hi,

OF the circuit houses you have all worked with, who can take camera-ready artwork? Or do they all need to be re-entered into their particular software before they can make them?

Thanks,

Dave
    edited 2009-06-30 05:12
    every place i have delt with wants the files in gerber format. most cad software(at least the good ones) will output into this format.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2009-06-30 07:50
    Gerber file format is the standard. Some board fab houses accept Eagle or other software files and then they create the gerber files.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • mikestefoymikestefoy Posts: 84
    edited 2009-07-07 08:51
    Gold Phoenix looks interesting.

they don't panelis(z)e though.

anyone have a good tutorial on how to.

I use Altium at work

Mike
  • John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2009-07-07 10:48
    Or if the project is small, you're building one or a few·and you're in a hurry, use Vero Board (Don't scream just yet, read on...)

Tiny Cad (a great little schematics package, much easier to learn than Eagle)

http://tinycad.softonic.de/

and VeeCAD - a PCB layout package for Veroboard. You can decide to build a circuit after breakfast and be testing it before dinner, and that even applies out here in "the veldt of Darkest Africa". It's autorouter stinks but it has·most of·the other features of a PCB layout program, but for Veroboard instead of normal PCB. You can also modify the board half way through building it.

http://veecad.com/

The two images are from a signal generator, I decided to make at at 09:00 on Sunday and completed by 14:30 (02:00pm). I tested it last night!!!

TinyCAD handles ALL the popular formats so you can prototype in TinyCAD, build samples in VeeCAD then import into Diptrace, Eagle or whatever other package you use.

The downside is that TiniCAD only has a couple of hundred symbols at this stage. Creating symbols takes seconds and is very easy. Take a look at those non-standard cables on my drawing.

If, like me you like intuative software that thinks like you do but you want something mor powerful than TinyCAD, look at Diptrace. If you're a nerd and love those computer games where you look for objects and score points for each object you find, then Eagle is your software. You'll love it to bits.

Regards

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    5446 x 3274 - 1M
    4199 x 3950 - 1M
  • planktonplankton Posts: 18
    edited 2009-07-31 05:05
    OK John I need your help.

I downloaded TinyCad, created a circuit, ran Special->Check Design Rules until the result was positive, then Special->Create net list for pcb.

However, I get these error messages that prevents Veecad from properly importing and rendering the components:

[noparse][[/noparse]part of tCad1.net]

[noparse][[/noparse]
    U1
    This part has no 'Package' attribute
    NE5532

]
    [noparse][[/noparse]
    J1
    This part has no 'Package' attribute
    COAXJ

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Scott
    1495 x 1060 - 11K
  • John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2009-07-31 06:59
    @ Scott
    You don’t have the package outlines (You knew that duh!). Veecad has it’s own set of parts libraries in Tinycad. These have the package outlines assigned to the part. The libraries are still a bit primative and components like the NE5532 aren’t in these libraries. This doesn't matter much because component outlines are easy to make.

Easily solved – When working in TinyCAD, use VeeCAD libraries where possible. The package outline will be assigned automatically. If there isn’t a package outline for an IC, assign DIPXX as the package type, for example DIP28. You will create the outlines for the other component in VeeCAD.

Where you still don’t have a package outline – Import the file into Veecad and create the outlines then assign them to the components.

Create outline in VeeCAD
    <Board> <Outline>
    Create a name for your outline
    Draw the outline, you have 4 ways to do this. It’s quick and easy.
    <Ok>

Assign outline to component in VeeCAD
    <Board> <Component>
    Choose the component that is missing the outline
    Use the <View Previous and View next> keys to select outline
    <Ok>

If you’re going to use an outline often, paste it onto one of the outline sheets and then use the name you’ve given it when drawing in TinyCAD. Check the VeeCAD help file on this.

If you still have problems, just post them here

Kind regards

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-07-31 23:52
    Guys I want to have some baords made as well but I am not sure of what to do, A sticky would be awesome on this topic but in he mean time I have

Eagle 5.3 pro full version can you just send them a schematic of your circuit design with a parts list??? or is there more to it I see some of you guys post your stuff and you show a board layout front and back can I pay extra to just send schematics or do they need the whole layout stuff?
    thanks
  • planktonplankton Posts: 18
    edited 2009-08-01 02:40
    John - Excellent.· Was able to follow your recommendations and now I have a circuit in VeeCAD to play with.· Thanks!

Scott
    edited 2009-08-01 13:48
    Mikediv you need to send them gerber files. Look in prop forum 18 and under for instructions

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔