Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can see pink on LAN but not on WAN — Parallax Forums

can see pink on LAN but not on WAN

shmowshmow Posts: 109
edited 2009-07-03 11:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hello All,
I can control my stamp via the pink module through my LAN, but not through WAN.
The PINK is connected through a router.
I thought I could see the module if I set the router with port forward setting.
My problem is I've tried port forwarding.
I've changed the DHCP to static IP.
Is there something else I need to do?
Thanks,
Shmow

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-06-25 18:18
    You might have to put the pink in the DMZ. Have you tried connecting the pink directly to the wan ahead of the router?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • shmowshmow Posts: 109
    edited 2009-06-25 18:25
    Stephen,
    Thanks for the replay. I would like to avoid DMZ setting.
    I figured my port settings might be off (set at 80 to 110 on the router). Could that be it?
    It may sound lazy on my part, but I want to have the PINK connected through the router to make my life easier.
    Cheers,
    Shmow
  • KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2009-06-26 01:22
    Are you trying the WAN ip from inside your lan? If this is the case it likely won't work, most consumer level routers don't support local loopback, which is what you need to access your WAN ip from inside your network. Try a connection external to your local network to see if it is·working.

Also, your ISP may be blocking incoming requests, one way to test this is to use a service like shields up from GRC to see if the port is actually open and accepting connections, you can find it at this link·https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Hope it helps!
    ·
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-06-26 15:03
    I used my PINK exactly as you have, (connected on the "home" side) and I had to set the router for forwarding. Also, when you're trying to talk to PINK from the outside world, you look for the the IP address of your internet connection, not the IP assigned to PINK by the router.

I left DHCP on dynamic even though my ISP changes the IP from time to time.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
    edited 2009-06-26 17:50
    Thanks for the replies.

Tom, if I use the router's IP (instead of PINK's IP) how do I access pages on the PINK's server?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-06-26 17:54
    If the pink is behind the router and you are doing port forwarding the outside connection is to the routers IP and the requests for say port 80 will be forwarded by the router to the pink.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-06-26 18:08
    Stephen,
    how do I distinguish the pink's IP from the router's IP. In the router do I assign the pink's IP when forwarding?
    Regards,
    Shmow
  • KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2009-06-26 20:19
    Your pinks ip addy will usually be something like 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, or in a rare case 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x, these are your internal ip addys assigned to devices on your network by your router.· You have already indicated you can conect to your PINK through your lan, so you already know the ip addy of the PINK.

Your router has 2 ip addys, 1 will be of the internal nature described above and it acts as a gateway, the other is your public IP addy assigned to you by your ISP. You can see what this is on your routers status screen page or a similiar page, most routers show the assigned addy somewhere. You can also hit a site like http://whatismyipaddress.com/· to get this public ip addy.

When you setup forwarding, you choose a port and addy to forward to, you should forward to the inetrnal ip addy that you can connect to on your lan, use port 80, the port PINK listens on.· So if your PINK is 192.168.1.101, you will use that as the forward to addy in your router. Now, when you try and access your public addy, the one you got above from whatismyipaddress.com, you should get to your PINK.

Remember, it is likely you won't be able to access your PINK using the public ip addy while inside your lan due to low end routers not supporting local loopback, it is also likely your ISP is blocking port 80, more and more block common ports like 80 these days. Get it configured and hit the shields up site I linked above to see if port 80 is open and not being blocked.
    ·
  • lenswerkslenswerks Posts: 40
    edited 2009-06-28 02:42
    Say your PINK address is 192.168.0.100 and your router WAN IP is xx.xx.xx.xx. From your routers Virtual Server page set up forwarding using Protocol Type of TCP, Private Port of 80, Public Port of 5800.

Then http://xx.xx.xx.xx:5800

Your WAN IP may be changing depending on who you have it with, so check that.
    edited 2009-07-03 11:46
    Thanks all! However, my pink has cooked itself (very puzzled by that). Will get back to you when I get replacement.