Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using a Parallax Basic Stamp over 15000 feet ( over 4000 meters) — Parallax Forums

Using a Parallax Basic Stamp over 15000 feet ( over 4000 meters)

markustermarkuster Posts: 184
edited 2009-06-26 15:10 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I need to acquire temperature over 15000 feet.

Sometimes at this altitude some components like
condensers, resistors, etc. my exploit.

Do you know if a Basic Stamp could work at this altitude ?

Thanks, Markus
PS: Do you know if the propeller does?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-06-23 04:00
    Both a Stamp and a Propeller should be able to work at that altitude. I suspect a bigger problem would be temperature. The Propeller is specified for operation down to -55C. The Stamps (I believe) are specified for an industrial temperature range (to 0C). Stamps have been used in sounding rockets, but I don't know the maximum altitude. You might look through some of the forum threads on the projects involved.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 6/23/2009 4:13:56 AM GMT
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-06-23 07:36
    BASIC Stamps are commonly used in Near Space Programs that involve balloons which reach these altitudes - with no problem. The electronics temperature data logging payload is wrapped with insulation such as Styrofoam or a soft lightweight foam-padded Thermos lunch box to retain heat. The temperature sensor is routed externally. These flights typically go to 100,000 feet.

humanoido
  • markustermarkuster Posts: 184
    edited 2009-06-23 15:22
    Hi again,

Information about altitude is difficult to find.

But it is important to know . Do you know if Parallax has
    this information about Basic Stamps? Something like "Key Specifications" ?

Like temperature, the altitude is very important to know.

In fact, instead altitude, the name could be something like "minimum pressure".

Perhaps the information about sounding rockets and balloons could be useful.

Do you know where can I find these information ?

Thanks, Mark.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-06-23 15:32
    markuster said...
    In fact, instead altitude, the name could be something like "minimum pressure".

You could try it yourself. Make a pressure chamber with a wire coming out. Drop it to vacuum and see if the BS2 can still transmit serial data.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2009-06-23 18:10
    Hello Mark,

Paul Verhage has done extensive work in Near Space with the BS2p, and in fact wrote a book about it. It is posted by chapter on our website here:
    http://www.parallax.com/Resources/ApplicationsContests/Science/NearSpace/tabid/567/Default.aspx
  • doughboydoughboy Posts: 12
    edited 2009-06-25 00:25
    It should be noted that you will need active heating for near space balloon launches
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-06-25 04:13
    markuster said...
    Hi

I need to acquire temperature over 15000 feet.

Sometimes at this altitude some components like
    condensers, resistors, etc. my exploit.

If you meant to say "may explode", I really don't believe that is an issue. If something were assembled and sealed at sea level and then launched into the near vacuum of space, there would be less than a 15 psi pressure differential. When applied to the tiny area of a chip or other component the outward force would be measured in fractions of an ounce. I haven't done the math but I would suspect bigger internal pressure problems right here on the ground when things get close to overheating.

This same type of "things exploding in space" issue came up regarding the space shuttles tires and why they didn't explode. I don't know what pressure the shuttle's tires run at, well over 100 psi I am sure, 15 psi extra when in space is nothing compared to the extra pressure they will get when they heat up upon landing.

Rich H
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2009-06-25 21:27
    I've used a stamp over 100,000 ft, and as Mike mentioned, the biggest concern is temperature. There are not any components on the BS2 that are "significantly" affected by pressure. I've tested a BS2 in a vacuum chamber, and it worked on my high altitude projects, so low pressure isn't a concern.

At 15k ft, you're probably not going to be too worried about temperature (depending on your location). Most stamps are rated to 32F (0C), but the industrial BS2 can go down to -40C. If you are expecting to get into a region of the atmosphere where temperatures may drop below freezing, better play it safe and use a stamp or prop that is rated down to at least -40C.

Hope that helps,
    Dave
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2009-06-26 15:10
    On the opposite end of the scale, I supplied one of my OWL2pe data loggers (BS2pe-based) to a project that had to opperate at an ocean depth of more than 5000 meters (16000 ft), with a pressure exceeding 7000 psi (472 atmospheres). Their main concern was the 8mhz crystal I used, which was a ceramic and metal construction. It seems counterintuitive to me, but asked me to change it for their project to a certain epoxy plastic package that they had verified at that pressure.

On the temperature side, I have had standard BS2s down to -55 Celsius in an environmental chamber, operating without problem. The BS2e and BS2sx now I think come standard in industrial temperature range. The BS2pe and BS2p can have problems at sub sub zero temperatures, although the OWL2pe and the MOBO Stamp (both BS2pe based) have different settings and are okay down below -40 Celsius.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com