Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pool water splash detector — Parallax Forums

Pool water splash detector

Radio astronomerRadio astronomer Posts: 4
edited 2009-06-25 05:48 in BASIC Stamp
I have a one year old grandson who is infatiuated with·his other relatives'·pool. I want to create a detector that would trigger a loud alarm should he ever fall into the pool. His other gandparents (the in-laws) don't have the pool seperately fenced off from the house and the back yard.
Will the Basic Stamp 2 handle this task? ·What components will I need? Has this detector already been built by another Parallax user? If so, would you point me to the place in the forum to access it?

Thanks so much? yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Live long, help others, and prosper.

Andy

WN6EDV

Comments

• phil kennyphil kenny Posts: 233
    edited 2009-06-21 15:33
    If you download the Applied Sensors pdf file and look at page 127, you'll
    find some info on building a moisture detector:

www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/140/Default.aspx?txtSearch=applied+sensors

Here is another source for a moisture detector:

www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1544

However, whether these can be used to construct a reliable splash detector using
    the Basic Stamp is questionable.

phil

Post Edited (phil kenny) : 6/21/2009 4:19:01 PM GMT
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-06-21 15:47
    A splash is largely random noise. The sound from a splash could be detected with a microphone, amplifier and DSP, but the BS2 isn't up to it. Neural net techniques have been used for that sort of thing - muting radio receivers in the absence of a signal.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 6/21/2009 5:18:16 PM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-06-22 02:12
    You could also use a "tilt switch" but the best devices are the adults that are watching the kid.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-06-22 21:05
    The adult at pool side is the absolute bare minimum and may be required by law in your area. If you still insist on being an irresponsible adult, strap a moisure detector to the lads waist. Any 1yr old who is not totally supervised outside is asking for trajedy. Don't mess around with a DIY solution. There must be such a product on the market that has been extensively tested and certified.
    Google "child safety". you'll get lots of links to these products.

Post Edited (LilDi) : 6/22/2009 10:34:21 PM GMT
  • Radio astronomerRadio astronomer Posts: 4
    edited 2009-06-23 18:16
    To all who responded, thank you for your input and suggestions.

Now to LilDi perhaps you did not read my posting correctly. I want to make sure my grandson is safe when he is AT HIS OTHER GRANDPARENT'S HOUSE where the pool is located.

I am not an irresponsible adult, as I watch my grandson 100% of the time when he is with me; regardless of our location. You made an incorrect presumption by drafting this inflammatory and accusitive statememt. I expect an apology.

The purpose of the request was to add a measure of safety for my grandson when he is not supervised by the OTHER relatives when he is at THEIR house and I am not there visiting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Andy

WN6EDV
  • jknightandkarrjknightandkarr Posts: 234
    edited 2009-06-23 18:35
    In my opinion the best thing you can do is probly make sure they watch the child at all times, but good luck on your project on that at any rate, but I see one flaw though with it though. Will they actually use it or will they just say they use it only to satisfy your wishes? Just my point of view.

Joe
    edited 2009-06-23 18:43
    Good point Joe. Whether I purchase a store bought detector or make one for him someone has to make sure it is on and functioning. I have spoken with my son and daughter-in-law about pool safety and children. They know the hazard potentials of children around water. I told them to make sure that when they leave grandson at that house that the adults keep him from any access points to the pool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Andy

WN6EDV
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-06-23 20:43
    Seems like a floating unit with a sensitive shake/tilt detector that triggers an alarm would be useful here. Some experimentation and calibration necessary, obviously. Calm water is smooth, but any splash would send waves in all directions and wiggle the unit to trigger the alarm. No Stamp necessary, just trigger a 555 timer to send a 10-second pulse that transistor-switches a loud siren for that long. Radio Shack has most of the parts you need. Any car alarm dealer can offer you a variety of trembler/vibration/tilt switches that might work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-06-23 22:56
    I agree Radio astronomer, I did read it wrong and I do apologize. Not just for mis reading your post, but for the rude comment under any circumstance. I still stand on my suggestion that you should not use a home made solution. Buy something that is tested and certified. Google "child safety" By the way. Welcome to the Parallax Forum. Most everyone on this forum is very helpful and very friendly. I will try to live up to the standards that everyone else on this forum has set.
  • mrsnowmanmrsnowman Posts: 4
    edited 2009-06-24 16:01
    This is a LIFE SAFETY issue. Good to see you concerned about.

Not the domain of fooling around and accepting liability though. Buy the grandparents a commercial, tested and approved unit by some group like the CSA and sleep better at night. Also send a different fence contractor to see them once a week, every week until they put up a fence.

I understand your concern and desire to tinker but a life is not work fooling around at a job site, in a home or by somebody pool.

Do not be offended, but also offend your opposing grandparents if you have to. This is not a family question of who brings the turkey on Christmas day.
    edited 2009-06-25 05:48
    Thank you Lildi for your apology and for your Goole suggestion to locate chold safety products. His grand parents do need to put a fence around the pool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Andy

WN6EDV