Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Professional Development Board & Stamp2p-40 Resets Upon Serial Connection — Parallax Forums

Professional Development Board & Stamp2p-40 Resets Upon Serial Connection

everesteverest Posts: 141
edited 2009-06-19 21:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I'm having a really weird problem. . .I have a whole slew of programs written and they work flawlessly on my Stamp2 BoE Development Board. I recently purchased a Professional Development Board and a Stamp2p-40 and I'm having the following problem:

The board is resetting every time I connect with the debug tool, hyperterm, etc. That's a huge problem! I can't have me connecting resetting the execution as it powers off all the equipment, etc. etc.

Has anyone seen this before? My only possible clue is that I think I'm using a null modem cable rather than a straight serial cable to connect to the board. Does the board auto-detect that and maybe reset itself to change it's configuration to accommodate?? Otherwise I'm stumped. . .

-Jeff

Post Edited (everest) : 6/18/2009 9:39:34 PM GMT

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-06-18 22:53
    You'll need to use a straight through cable for programming the BASIC Stamp.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • everesteverest Posts: 141
    edited 2009-06-18 23:11
    Well. . .okay then, I can program the board just fine, and see debug output. So why does the board reset every time I connect to the serial port?? That's definitely a huge problem for me!

-Jeff
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2009-06-18 23:20
    some of the pins route to different outputs on the PDB as you are using a 40 pin stamp check the pdf for the PDB for clarification as this may be your problem
    edited 2009-06-18 23:42
    Yes, I got that almost right away. . .I've routed my pins appropriately. I have created the simplest possible program to demonstrate this. . .one that lights up an LED for a few seconds, then brings the pin low and dies. If I connect to the serial port, the LED lights up again for a few seconds and then goes dark, i.e. the board is resetting. . .UGH, I can't prototype on this board because it's not behaving "correctly" at all. . .there's got to be something I'm missing here. . .

-Jeff
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-06-19 14:25
    Can you post a couple of pictures of your set up?· This may help us determine the issue.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2009-06-19 14:38
    Dave,

I have a strong suspicion that the problem might be my USB Serial Port. . .I have a Keyspan port, which has always been very good, but I've never used it on a Stamp2 system before. I'll try a different one or two today and see if the issue recurs.

-Jeff
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-06-19 21:09
    The problem here is the DTR signal. When you’re connecting and disconnecting your board the DTR line is being affected. This happens when you hot-swap a serial cable. The DTR line is what is used to reset the BASIC Stamp, so if you are making/breaking the serial connection (even a USB serial connection) you can expect the BASIC Stamp to reset as a result. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering