Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help in wireless communication! (newbie) — Parallax Forums

Need help in wireless communication! (newbie)

XypherXypher Posts: 10
edited 2009-06-25 02:49 in BASIC Stamp
Hello guys! I am just starting out on the BS2.

I have to do a project and its somewhat demanding.

My project is to build a tilt sensing device, that measures the position of the hand relative to X and Y axis. I will be getting a memsic 2-axis accelerometer for that. There will also be a throttle control in the form of a trigger.

The purpose of it is to control radio controlled toy aircraft. Tilting the hand up will cause the aircraft to go up and tilting it left will cause it to turn left. Thus are 3 channels of data.

My query is, how do I transmit these 3 channels of data via 72 mhz frequency so that it communicates with regular toy aircraft. It has to be transmitted in the same pattern as regular R/C transmitters so that the toys can receive properly.

Is the BS2 powerful/fast enough for this task?

Thank you.

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-06-18 12:40
    No question, you've set pretty high goals for a first project!

As long as you realize there is a lot to learn as you go forward and that it will take work and time, it's doable.

Things you'll need to learn how to do:
    1. learn how to use the accelerometer to get a reading on the the debug screen.
    2. learn how to read a pot and get the reading on the debug screen.
    3. for the first go around, use an existing r/c controller and learn how to get the Stamp to simulate moving the joysticks.
    4. when this all works you might consider using a real data radio for both control and data capture.

Can the Stamp do it? Oh yes. Heres something simlar I did a few years ago.
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=98838&g=98914#m98914

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-06-18 16:06
    You'll have to hack your RC controller to take input from the BS2. I've taken apart one, and the only thing that I found that I thought I could hack was the two pots (a two channel RC controller). You might be able to cut out the mechanical pots and replace them with digital pots controlled by the BS2.
  • XypherXypher Posts: 10
    edited 2009-06-25 02:49
    Sry for the late reply.

I have just bought the R/C aircraft set. Its a GWS E-starter with a 4 channel Hitec Laser 4 transmitter.

I am not sure how a digital pot works. I'm gonna spend a while getting used to the programming language and all.