Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problem with serial connection — Parallax Forums

problem with serial connection

GizzahGizzah Posts: 2
edited 2009-06-19 12:21 in BASIC Stamp
hey guys i absolutely love messing around with small circuits and stuff ive bought the basic stamp with the "whats a microcontroller" book and everything and am very eager to start. however i have no computers that have serial ports, so i decided to go out and buy a serial to usb converter however the basic stamp software cant pick up the hardware.
ive been reading through the forums and the readme with the software. i think it might be a fairly common problem it told me:

Recommended Method : Insert a delay, such as PAUSE 1000, at the start of your PBASIC program.
--or--
Alternative Method : Ensure the BASIC Stamp is unpowered before connection to a computer via a USB cable.
--or--
Alternative Method : Connect the BASIC Stamp to the computer via a standard, DB9-style, serial cable.

(i dont know what the first method means, ive tried the second method and it didnt work, i cant try the third method because i have no serial ports)
any help would be really appreciated

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-06-18 12:58
    Many usb converters won't work due to timing and other issues.

The ones sold on the Parallax site work and are worth the money. Some of the the other folks on the
    forums have found a few others that work as well.

You'll want part # 28030 @ $14.99 or 28031 @ 19.99 (with extension cable)

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • GizzahGizzah Posts: 2
    edited 2009-06-19 09:11
    Wow thanks I'm so grateful. I was so excited when i got it but so dissapointed when i couldn't get it working, i did read about the timing issue but had no idea how to fix it. I've just ordered the converter with the cable thankyou so much. I'm looking forward to building some circuits soon!
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-06-19 12:21
    I think that will take care of your problem. Just install the driver according to the instructions!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·