Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I install both version 4 & 5 simulataneously of the Oscilloscope software? — Parallax Forums

Can I install both version 4 & 5 simulataneously of the Oscilloscope software?

daksterdakster Posts: 4
edited 2009-06-12 18:08 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm working my way through the signals text learning how to use an oscilloscope, and I noticed that version 5 of the software has some nice improvements, but is also missing some functionality. I figure by bouncing between both version 4 & 5, I'd be getting the best of both worlds. I searched around, and couldn't find any reference in the forums to having both installed. Will it screw up my version 4 install if I install version 5 as well? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-06-12 00:30
    Hello dakster,

You will not have a problem installing both versions of the software on your computer. In fact, I actually have both versions installed on my computer as well! It's great for Educator's Courses since our books reference version 4 still. Just don't run them simultaneously. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-06-12 00:56
    Jessica,

I've been avoiding upgrading to 5 for this reason... do we need to install them in separate directories, and will the install prompt *where* to install... at least one of Parallax's install rountines for a different product pick a directory for you without giving you a choice.

thanks
    - Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Got Electrons?
  • daksterdakster Posts: 4
    edited 2009-06-12 14:49
    I just installed 5 alongside my original ver4 install, I checked custom install, but it had already set version 5 to be installed in a separate directory by default. New version looks good. Here's hoping for more features in version 5 as time goes on (zoom and FFT).
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-06-12 16:41
    Hi Howard,

The installation will automatically create a new directory for the newest version of the software. For example, right now I have:

C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\USB Oscilloscope v4.0.0

and

C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\USB Oscilloscope v5.1.1

Since some of our texts have yet to be updated to the newest version of the software, it was necessary to be able to offer both versions of the software and make sure they don't overlap. Otherwise, someone who may buy Understanding Signals might get confused when the screen captures and settings don't match up.

Hope this helps!

Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-06-12 18:08
    Thanks Jessica, yes that does help --- will install v5 and let it educate me [noparse]:)[/noparse])
    - Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Got Electrons?