Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC Stamp Activity Kit [solved] — Parallax Forums

BASIC Stamp Activity Kit [solved]

mzracer360mzracer360 Posts: 6
edited 2009-06-08 18:37 in BASIC Stamp
I purchased the What's a Microcontroller kit as a refurbished item off of a Parallax ebay auction. I've gone through chapters 1 - 8 just fine, and have been learning a bunch from it.
I'm now on chapter 9: Electronic Building Blocks. I've built the Transistor circuit according to Figure 9-3, but when I turn the knob of the potentiometer, nothing happens. I don't have any output from the LED. I've also tried it with the Digital Potentiometer Circuit like Figure 9-7, but still nothing.

Here is a picture of my circuit, which should be identical to Figure 9-3...
IMG_1233.jpg

- mzracer360

Post Edited (mzracer360) : 6/8/2009 10:50:48 PM GMT

Comments

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-06-08 03:50
    Thank You for posting this Photo

One problem that I see is that you do not any wire or wires·to the Basic· Stamp Pins

Pin # 8 need to hook up to the Bread Board

Everything else look good from what I can see

That would be a big Reason for it not to work at all

I took a look at your past post ............>>>>>>>>>

Food for thought··Just an· idea.gif

One thing you need to get in a habit·is letting us know if what we have ask you try work or not

because what will happen some time down the road you may or may not get any more help from people on the Fourm

Take this as little bit of advise and nothing more ··smile.gif···· ·I am NOT trying to be mean by pointing this out to you·· ·smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 6/8/2009 4:13:39 AM GMT
  • mzracer360mzracer360 Posts: 6
    edited 2009-06-08 12:15
    Thanks for the quick reply! The circuit I've created in the picture doesn't have any wires connected to a pin. It is the next circuit, Figure 9-4 that is hooked up to pin 8. I'll stop by RadioShack today and pick up a new transistor to see if that'll work.

Also, about not replying back with my last topic. Even though I didn't post back on the forums, I'd been in contact with Whit via PMs, and we got everything figured out. I try to reply back to every post I make on forums, but sometimes I completely forget about a forum if I don't visit it daily.

thanks,

mzracer360
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-06-08 15:40
    It is hard to tell from the photo but your LED may be backwards. The flat should be facing away from VDD.

Rich H
  • mzracer360mzracer360 Posts: 6
    edited 2009-06-08 18:37
    I've tried each LED that comes in the component pack, and none of them light up with this circuit. I just picked up a new transistor for $.85 at RS, and will see if this one works later this evening after work.

edit - fixed, it now works!!!

Post Edited (mzracer360) : 6/8/2009 10:50:26 PM GMT