Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Professional Development Board and VDD with external power supply. — Parallax Forums

Professional Development Board and VDD with external power supply.

WebheadFredWebheadFred Posts: 27
edited 2009-06-04 01:31 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings,
I've been reading for several months now and I'm about to delve into my project. I've worked through the StampWorks book with the professional development board and I think I have a pretty good handle on PBASIC. My college programming seems to have helped.

I'm building a stepper motor controller for an antenna project. My motors are unipolar and require 24 volts. I intend to build my own power supply with 5 volt regulators to power the BS2px24 and the Little Step-U and the 24 volts to power the motors. I figured it all needed the same VSS for best results. My question is, once I'm regulated to +5 volts, can I connect it to VDD on the PDB and leave the switch disconnected? Of course ground would connect to VSS. Is my thinking right here? I envision connecting the +5 to the Stamp and the Little Step-U and the +24 to the stepper motor coils with all a common VSS.

Best Regards,

Fred

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-06-04 00:09
    WebheadFred

I don't think this would work. The Pro.Dev.Board supply's power to the Stamp via the Vin pin and uses the on board stamp reg. to supply the +5volts needed by the stamp. The Vdd pin on the stamp thats in the stamp bay has no connection to the Vdd sockets on the Pro.Dev.Board.

Remove the DC power and then the stamp and ring out the connections and You'll see what I mean. The BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual will show You some of this as well.

Hope this is helpfull

_____________$WMc%________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • WebheadFredWebheadFred Posts: 27
    edited 2009-06-04 01:31
    Thanks WMc,
    I think I figured that out after reading the schematic for the PDB. I was able to power the Little Step-U with VDD for the logic and used a separate power supply for the motor with common VSS.

Thanks for the reply.

Fred

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Why be one if you can't act like one?