Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with simulating a shaft speed signal — Parallax Forums

Need help with simulating a shaft speed signal

ihmechihmech Posts: 179
edited 2009-06-04 23:21 in BASIC Stamp
I am wanting to use a BS2 to simulate a shaft speed signal for a shaft speed monitor.· I need to·come up with 5 different·simulated shaft speeds.· The shaft uses a 48 tooth tone wheel with a hall effect sensor.· I need to output a·signal from 24.2kHz to 228kHz.· Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-06-02 17:14
    Probably building a simple square wave oscillator from a 555 timer chip will give you the easiest solution.

Just google 555 oscillator and you'll be swamped with circuits.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • ihmechihmech Posts: 179
    edited 2009-06-02 22:25
    Can I use a digital pot to control the 555 circuit to get the 5 different signals I need?
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-06-03 00:00
    ihmech

Another source for info is in experiments#15,16,and 19 of the Stampworks Manuel.

_______$WMc%___

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-06-03 00:17
    The digital pot will work technically. The issue would be if any of the discrete steps would give you the exact frequency you need. If you need to be approximate, it will be fine.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
    edited 2009-06-03 02:05
    After finding some gross mathmatical errors on my part. I realized I only need a signal range between 6 and 65hz. Which the BS2 is easily capable of. Math is not my strong point and has kept me from a career in electronics, but at least its a hobby for me. Thanks everyone for your help, I leared some more from the information provided and thats a big help to me.
    edited 2009-06-03 04:36
    After my math errors, and some thought. I'm not sure of the best way to output the different shaft speed signals I need. If anyone has some ideas, it would be a great help. Thanks
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-06-04 01:10
    Here's a little code just to get You started. The Stamp Works manual offers a lot more info and code commands to create a Freq. generator. to simulate a turning shaft,or counting gear teeth.

_________$WMc%________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
    edited 2009-06-04 23:21
    Thanks for the code, I'll try it and also check the Stamp Works PDF that I have.