Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Control Bstamp through network — Parallax Forums

Control Bstamp through network

dakota77dakota77 Posts: 23
edited 2009-06-01 16:23 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I would like to control servos through ethernet.

I'm actually using a BS2P and a parallax servo controller to control 2 servos. It works fine.

A computer sends commands to the Basic Stamp via RS232. (When the string ABC is received by the Bstamp, the servo are placed in position 1)

I would like to send these commands not through RS232 but throught a network.

Is it possible ?
Is there also a way to upload the program from the computer to the basic stamp through the network ?

Thanks for your help.
Mario

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-06-01 14:39
    Several companies (look at the ads in Nuts and Volts Magazine) sell Telnet interfaces that would provide a serial port to the Stamp and a Telnet virtual serial port to the Internet. You could also use Parallax's PINK which would let you serve up a webpage on the Internet with controls that you could manipulate with a web browser. The Stamp can read the value of the controls. Read the PINK documentation for details.

There's no way to upload a program via a network link or via a wireless link from the Stamp Editor on a PC to a Stamp. If you're using a multi-slot Stamp like the BS2p/pe/px, you could write a program (for both the Stamp end and the PC end) to take a program saved as a binary file by the Stamp Editor and copy it to an available "slot" on the Stamp via some network link, then the Stamp program could transfer to the newly received slot. Read the Stamp Manual chapters on the RUN / STORE / WRITE statements for details.

It would also be possible to make an Internet interface that could receive an entire Stamp program, then download that to an attached Stamp. There was a Bluetooth interface that worked in that way. You can't download directly because of timing constraints in the Stamp's downloader and network timing delays.
  • dakota77dakota77 Posts: 23
    edited 2009-06-01 16:23
    Hello Micke,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

It seems not so simple.
    My application on the PC is written in VB.NET. I want to click on buttons and move the servos that are on the network.
    I have tried with the Pink but it is too complicate for what I want to do.

I will look for Telnet interfaces.

Once again thank you.
    Mario