Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with fan — Parallax Forums

Problem with fan

NtelosNtelos Posts: 21
edited 2009-06-05 06:22 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I use basic stamp 2 and i want to connect one input with a fan (5V DC). When i do that, the fan is not working but if i connect the fan with 5V DC the fan works fine.

Any solutions?

Thanks for advance

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2009-06-01 15:01
    Ntelos,

The problem is, is that the current of your fan is higher than the amount of current the Basic Stap pin can provide. What you need to do is use a transistor that can provide more current to the motor.

See this link: (Silicon Steroids for your Stamp)
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/vol1/code/nv6.zip

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • NtelosNtelos Posts: 21
    edited 2009-06-04 07:54
    I bought a 2N2222A transistor, a 1N400 DC and a 390 Ω resistor. I connected the the stamp's pin at the resistor and then at the base of 2N2222A. The emitter goes to ground. I connected the collector directly with the (-) of the fan and the (+) of the fan to the Vcc (5 Volts). This circuit didn't work. I tried to connect the diode parallel to the fan but it didn't work either.

Didn't work, means that the fan is working properly but if i disconnect the pin of the stamp the fan still works and if i connect the pin of the stamp, it does not stop whether if i declare the output as '1' or as '0'.

I also tried to connect the collector to 5 Volts DC and to connect the fan to the emmiter and then to the ground. This also works but with the same results (the pin of the stamp can not control the function of the fan).

All i want is to control the fan through the pin of the stamp.

Any solutions?

Thank you in advance
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-06-04 14:03
    The circuit given in the article Beau referenced does work. If the fan always runs, you must have a wiring mistake or the transistor is bad. When you set the Stamp's I/O pin to LOW (0), the transistor should be cut off (not conducting). Check your wiring. Try another transistor.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2009-06-04 15:56
    Ntelos,

Is the I/O pin working properly? Try another I/O pin, remember to adjust your code, it could be that the pin was damaged from the initial connection to your fan.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • NtelosNtelos Posts: 21
    edited 2009-06-05 06:22
    I found what i did wrong.

The circuit was correct, but the way i placed the 2N2222A on the breadboard, the collector and the emitter pins where like there is a serial connection between them.

So, i placed the emitter's pin one hole to the right, and it worked!

Thank you everyone for helping for the solution!