Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Humidity Sensor — Parallax Forums

Humidity Sensor

Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
edited 2009-05-29 17:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hello All,
Does anyone know how far ( in twisted pair wire ) can the 27920 Humidity sensor be located from the Stamp processor?
I would like to locate one outside, one in the attic, one in the living area and one in the basement. This will help me control the air condition electric bill and conserve energy. I only want to keep the humidity within reason and I am not too worried about the temperature as much as the humidity level in the basement and living area.

I know all of you have seen advertiserment for the "Dry Basement" without a de-humiditifer but it uses your AC to dry the basement driving the cost way up. I would like to have more control over this method. If I know the humidity level is low outside then why turn on the AC when I can open the windows and turn on the attic fan?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Dave W.

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-05-29 17:54
    Dave,

If you look at the datasheet for the device on the Parallax site, they show a sensor being used to modulate a 555 timer oscillator. Such a setup would let you drive a signal around your house quite nicely. All at the expense of more complexity at each measurement point. But, using some multiconductor cable, you could have just one power supply so the parts in the field would be the sensor, 555 chip and a few other components.

You probably will have to take temperature into account because warm outside air of a certain Humidity can still condense when the same Humidity hits the cooler walls of a basement room. You can use a calculation or lookup table to make sure the seemingly warm dry air from outside won't condense when it arrives in the cooler basement.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·