Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need help selecting a kit — Parallax Forums

need help selecting a kit

ElectricsunElectricsun Posts: 3
edited 2009-06-02 14:04 in BASIC Stamp
a couple years back I bought the "what is a microcontroller" kit from radio shack and completed about three quarters of it before I ended up putting it down. I've since lost that kit and find myself wanting to take another stab at playing with with microcontrollers.
I would like to buy the stampworks kit, but there's a disclaimer stating that it's for intermediate users. There's also the discovery kit, but the stampworks seems to cover more material, especially steppers and servos which I'm definetly interested in and the discovery does not.. What makes the stampworks so user "unfriendly" that the discovery kit is my only stated option?
I don't want to buy the discovery kit only to find I should gave gotten the more comprehensive stampworks.
I catch on quick, which one should I get?

Thx

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-29 19:07
    First off, you can get all of the manuals online so the main choice will be the hardware. Decide what it is you will eventually be doing with your new knowledge and get the kit that best fits those goals.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2009-05-29 21:29
    The Discovery Kit and the BASIC Stamp Activity Kit both include the What's a Microcontroller? (WAM)parts· & text - the Discovery Kit includes the more robust Board of Education instead of the HomeWork Board, and it also includes a printed BASIC Stamp Manual.

WAM is the book for beginners, and StampWorks assumes you will have the level of knowlege of someone who has completed the WAM experiments. If you had a good grasp of the material you covered previously, then StampWorks is a great place to go next and will give you lots of room to grow. You can always refer to the WAM pdf download if you need a refresher on some basic concepts.

I second Franklin's suggestion of downloading both manuals before you decide.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-05-30 21:27
    Electricsun

Take a look at the "Basic Stamp Professional Development Board Kit" on the Parallax web site.

One of the things I hate is ordering a kit to try out something new, only to find I have to order a bunch of other stuff before I can use it.

The Basic Stamp Pro.Dev.Board Kit comes with every thing needed to complete the Stamp Works.

1 servo
    1 stepper
    1 Parallel LCD display
    Along with A bunch of IC chips needed for the Stamp Works projects
    It also comes with the hardware thats needed, like 3 big rolls of jumper wirer. Resisters,Cap.s, etc.

__________$WMc%______

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA

Post Edited ($WMc%) : 6/2/2009 2:03:28 PM GMT
  • ElectricsunElectricsun Posts: 3
    edited 2009-06-01 21:37
    I don't see that kit.
    I see only the standalone pro dev board, and under kits the only one utilizing the pro dev is the stampworks.
    Have you a link?

Thank you
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-06-02 00:43
    ·Here is the Link your looking for

LOOK_HERE

If you buy this I would ether down load this book or buy·this book what ever kit you end up buying

BOOK_HERE

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 6/2/2009 12:53:40 AM GMT
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-06-02 13:31
    Please make your replies in the same thread.· The link that Sam sent you to is for the Stamp Works Kit that includes the Professional Development board.· If you are still having issues viewing it please feel free to send me an e-mail dandreae@parallax.com and I will help you with your questions.

Kind regards,

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-06-02 14:04
    Electricsun

Parallax part# 27297

____$WMc%___

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA