Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Light Control — Parallax Forums

RFID Light Control

CorbettROVCorbettROV Posts: 17
edited 2009-05-27 02:47 in BASIC Stamp
Hey, I'm looking into doing a project over the summer that uses an RFID module to turn the overhead lights in my room on and off. I have been thinking about it, and it seems like it would be easiest to use a Parallax RFID module, a BASIC Stamp controller, and a relay. It would be even simpler if this were to exist, but I doubt it does: an RFID with a built it relay that actuates the relay when the RFID is triggered.

So back to my original idea: if I hook up an RFID module to a BASIC stamp, and then to a relay. Could I power my BASIC Stamp and my RFID off of the same power source? The RFID requires 5VDC and the BASIC Stamp requires 6-9 VDC, so I'm thinking it wouldn't work. Also - what would power the relay? Would the battery connected to the BASIC Stamp be able to actuate the relay?

I just got some feedback on the relay type - this relay and breakout board are supposed to be good with controlling AC power: www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=119 I am wondering if I could send out a 5V signal to the relay through the BASIC Stamp.

Thanks! Jacy

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-27 02:16
    A couple of thoughts. You would do better to use a wall wart rather than batteries since you are not mobile. You can use one supply with the proper regulators. Don't power the relay directly from the stamp and take a look at latching relays as an option.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Up4DaysUp4Days Posts: 5
    edited 2009-05-27 02:42
    Not that I dont love·Parallax products and everything they make possible but there are many much easier ways·to build what you wrote about. If you have your heart set on using a Basic Stamp by all means use one but I can think of 5 different ways of achieving your end product much easier. In fact I have one sitting on my desk right now that can be entirely powered by a wall wart that consists of a 12V·automobile (car) remote (RFID)·module with keychain fob (cost-about 20 bucks)·wired to trigger a 12V-125V/250V relay (cost-about 3 bucks). You'd only need one 12V wall wart good for about·an amp·to power both the module and the relay.

Sorry Parallax, I love you guys and will make up for this by buying more stuff smilewinkgrin.gif
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-05-27 02:47
    Indeed there are many ways to do the same thing - but if you want to use RFID and Basic Stamp, I'd try two things - Solid State relays (with a latching circuit) as these are much easier on the stamp's output and have very low current drain, and have the stamp sleep and wake periodically to check for the RFID tag's presence, to save energy.