Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Voice Recognition Projects - NOT using VR Stamp? — Parallax Forums

Voice Recognition Projects - NOT using VR Stamp?

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2010-08-06 14:28 in BASIC Stamp
I'm curious if anyone is doing (or has done) any voice controlled projects that do NOT use the VR Stamp (but DO employ a Basic Stamp in some form).· I ask because it appears that while the VR Stamp only costs $39.95, the software you need to program it costs $1000.00.· If I'm wrong in this, feel free to let me know.· In the interim, I'm looking for reliable alternatives that do not require the VR Stamp or a dedicated PC.· My application is a simple home automation/control system (by simple I mean only a few things, all of which require only on/off control).

Thanks very much for your help.

Dave X
·

Comments

• Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2009-05-26 00:25
    xanatos,

There was someone on one of the forums here that was offering to sell and program the VR Stamp to your requirements.

Do a search and I am sure you will find the post.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-05-26 16:02
    The VR Stamp ToolKit is about $350.00 from TotalRobotics. The kit includes everything you need to develop and program the VR Stamp and includes two VR Stamp modules.

http://www.totalrobots.com/vr-stamp-tool-kit-p-207.html?main_page=product_info&products_id=207

GICU812 offered to program VR Stamps to your specifications for cost, but that was a while ago. Not sure if the offer still stands.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-05-26 18:00
    I saw the VR Stamp Toolkit but I am currently under the impression that that kit only gives you 50 compiles then you either pay $1000.00 or you're done (The Q2TSI software, or FluentChip - one of those two has the limitations). Is that NOT the case in fact? I would probably eat 50 compiles up just in my initial design & testing phase.

I also sent a message to GICU812 but have not heard back yet...

Thanks for the info and any clarification you may have regarding the kit and the software limits.
    edited 2009-05-26 19:39
    You could try installing T2SI Lite on another PC for 50 more builds.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-05-26 20:24
    I'm playing with a speech recognition library for a low-cost DSP that will recognise 100 words. It would be quite easy to interface my hardware to the BS2.

A 5k license costs $2,500 ($2 per unit) but evaluation copies are only $5 per CD-ROM. I could just supply the hardware and people could do their own programming with evaluation copies.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 5/26/2009 8:31:50 PM GMT
    edited 2009-05-26 23:42
    GOOD NEWS FROM SENSORYINC: I received word today from their USA Sales guy that they have CHANGED THE LIMITATIONS on the VR STamp:

[noparse][[/noparse]quote]Quick T2SI Lite no longer has this limitation. It was recently changed and now offers unlimited life/builds. The maximum phrases/words has been reduced from 25 to 12. Most VR Stamp users fall into this range. I hope this better suits your requirements.

I am now a much happier camper! smile.gif

Dave
    edited 2009-05-28 16:27
    Hay thanks xanatos. I downloaded this new version 3.1.7 of Quick T2SI-Lite. Nice to be legal again. Much appreciated.

Leon, could you provide more info on the hardware. I am interested!

Post Edited (LilDi) : 5/28/2009 4:48:03 PM GMT
  • TomvnTomvn Posts: 103
    edited 2009-06-15 21:50
    hi guy,
    I think you just need PC with speech voice command from microsoft for free , and download roborealm from www.roborealm.com install to your Pc
    and basic stamp side is use MSRC version 2.0 load to stamp and eb500 module to send word .

Post Edited (Tomvn) : 6/15/2009 10:10:07 PM GMT
    edited 2009-06-15 22:16
    Hi Tom,

Good thought, but the unit needs to be computer independent, and as far as I can tell, only the VR Stamp can handle the application requirements. I wish Parallax made something like this - it would probably be a LOT more user friendly. The VR Stamp is awesome, but NOT for those who are easily intimidated by code and strict programming requirements of FOUR different pieces of software to get it running... not to mention the startup cost for the items needed to program it, being around $500.00 now... All that said, I'm willing to make the investment to get these functions, as there appears to be NOTHING else like it on the market. Parallax, if you're listening: Voice Recognition and Touch Screen Technology are the two biggest things coming down the pike. I've already sunk over $1000.00 into your products, and loved every one of them. Make a Voice Recognition hardware stamp style device, and a touch-screen controller that can interface easily to something like the propeller, and I'll gladly sink a few thousand more into your sales department! smile.gif

Dave
    edited 2009-06-16 17:14
    could VR stamp can hold more than 100 words?
    edited 2009-06-16 17:14
    could VR stamp can hold more than 100 words?
    edited 2009-06-17 02:42
    The development version of the software required to run it only does 12 words, but the full version, should someone want to fork over the thousand dollars to get it - will do an unlimited number of words based only on available memory, which I believe is expandable. The software makes very highly compressed voice pattern files for recognition.
  • TaisbtmTaisbtm Posts: 3
    edited 2010-08-05 19:01
    Hello
    My name is Ta
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-08-05 21:44
    Tais, could you start your own thread and post a link to the datasheet for the part you need help with? In the Sandbox forum please unless this relates to the basic stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • legoman132legoman132 Posts: 87
    edited 2010-08-05 22:06
  • TaisbtmTaisbtm Posts: 3
    edited 2010-08-06 13:28
    Hello,

now, thanks for the help. The module that I have is this

http://www.totalrobots.com/images/File/80-0274-A.pdf

I can not even find the data sheet module VRSTAMP.

Thanks,

Ta