Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1USB on USB Hub — Parallax Forums

BS1USB on USB Hub

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2009-05-26 16:20 in BASIC Stamp
When I plug the BS1USB into the USB port on the computer, it works fine.
But when it is plugged into a small USB hub, the program will not load.
The errors are show below. What can I do to fix this?

Tokenize successful. Download failed.
Hardware communications failure.
Fatal error on com port 25.

' {$STAMP BS1}
' {$PBASIC 1.0}
Main:
DEBUG CLS, "Hello World!", CR
END

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-23 19:07
    Make sure you have a current copy of the FTDI chip USB driver installed. Try re-downloading the driver and reinstalling it. There's nothing about this error that has anything to do with the BS1 itself or the Stamp Editor itself, it's a problem with the serial connection via USB. The BS1USB uses an FTDI USB to serial adapter chip like all the other Parallax USB interfaces.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-05-23 21:17
    I installed this current driver, downloaded from the Parallax page.
    USBDriverInstallerV2.04.16.exe and rebooted.
    www.parallax.com/tabid/530/Default.aspx

It has the exact same result. attached
    The BS1USB board green LED lights up, but it is not recognized as a USB device.

The 4-slot Esense USB hub works fine with various (four) large USB drives and
    (five) small flash drives, each from a different manufacturer and several with
    various formats.
    translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-sense.com.tw%2Fbig%2Fproducts%2Fproductdetail.asp%3Fid%3D447&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&history_state0=

Post Edited (humanoido) : 5/23/2009 9:49:22 PM GMT
    629 x 581 - 37K
    edited 2009-05-24 18:36
    If anyone has a BS1USB, can you try using it with a small USB hub?
    Maybe the BS1USB won't work with any hub?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-05-24 21:03
    Have you tried a powered hub? It shouldn't take much current but the driver might be demanding too much.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Up4DaysUp4Days Posts: 5
    edited 2009-05-24 22:14
    What kind of hub is it ? There are still some seriously crappy hubs out there on the market. When hubs began showing up on the market (I'm old, some people weren't even born yet then smile.gif ) I fried my first 2 pretty quick, within months of purchase.

I currently use a powered one designed for notebook travel called a Kensington High Speed 2.0 powered USB hub and have never had a problem.

You may have an issue of·manually·pointing some or all of the set up to the appropriate port on the computer·that needs to be addressed but I've never had that issue. I do recall my computers port IDing themselves though. Good Luck.
    edited 2009-05-25 06:36
    Up4Days, thanks for the info. Have you tested the Kensington High Speed 2.0 powered USB hub on the BS1USB? I want to make sure it works before investing in another product that does not work.

The Esense USB hub derives its power from the computer - the link is posted above. The Stamp Editor will show that a port is selected. After that, it fails to communicate. I can run up to three full size USB Drives off this one hub. Does one BS1USB really draw more power than that?
  • Up4DaysUp4Days Posts: 5
    edited 2009-05-26 06:25
    No not the BS1USB but I use it on the Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter. Works great !· I bought the hub·at the store that rymes with Rest Ryeroll.gif for about 15 bucks. Avoid·R Shack brand hubs they're junk, infact I've completely written off that chain because of their insulting markups, high pressure sales tactics and overall junky products, not to mention them steering in a·demographical direction away from technologists such as ourselves more everyday. I hope I can say that here, it's just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck !

Post Edited (Up4Days) : 5/26/2009 6:49:36 AM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-05-26 06:50
    humanoido,

You may be experiencing additional latency by using the hub. Check your driver settings in the control panel to make sure that the latency timer is set to 1, not 16.

-Phil
    edited 2009-05-26 08:15
    Phil, I changed the latency from 0 to 1 on all usb driver settings.
    Still no change, same problem.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-05-26 14:01
    I tried it on a Linksys USB hub and it works.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2009-05-26 16:20
    Thanks Dave! and thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.
    It appears that the Esense USB hub is the problem therefore
    I will use this hub for the larger USB drives and Flash drives,
    and purchase a new hub, either the Linksys or Kensington
    High Speed 2.0 powered USB hub. I think a powered version
    is best as I plan to have all the slots filled.

humanoido