Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
making a pcb — Parallax Forums

making a pcb

littlerichlittlerich Posts: 27
edited 2009-05-22 23:05 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking at doing my first pcb for the basic stamp BS2P40 chip which I have.

So I downloaded Express PCB and got underway thinking I was doing well.
Then oops realised I had picked up a 44 pin chip not 48 pin.

I cannot see a 48 pin package in the format that the BS2P40 is in.

Where have I gone wrong?

What are others using for PCB software? As this is non commercial and early stages a low budget or free option (usually tied to getting them to make the board)·would be good.

Express PCB seems ok yet manipulating the tracks and points once they are put down is a little challenging so maybe there is a better option.

Cheers for any thoughts.
rich

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-05-21 09:28
    You have to create your own part if the one you want isn't supplied.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • littlerichlittlerich Posts: 27
    edited 2009-05-21 09:40
    Are they importable?

Has anyone made the footprint for the part.

Hey also is there such a thing as a socket for that form factor?

cheers
    rich
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-05-21 09:55
    I don't think that the ExpressPCB software can import parts from other packages. It should be quite easy to make your own, it only takes a few minutes with the PCB software I use.

I make my own sockets for things like that from SIL turned-pin socket strips.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-05-21 12:25
    littlerich said...

What are others using for PCB software? As this is non commercial and early stages a low budget or free option (usually tied to getting them to make the board)·would be good.

Express PCB seems ok yet manipulating the tracks and points once they are put down is a little challenging so maybe there is a better option.

Cheers for any thoughts.
    rich
    Rich,
    · In my opionion, ExpressPCB is the best options for non-commercial products.
    · It does take a little time to get the hang of the software, but it is MUCH easier to use·than most PCB software.
    · Stick with it and give it some time to soak in. It's well worth the time spent.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There is a fine line between arrogance and confidence. Make sure you don't cross it...

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 5/21/2009 5:20:26 PM GMT
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-05-21 13:26
    @LittleRich

You can modify the an existing component to match what you need. The instructions are in the help and are fairly simple to follow. Once modified you can save them for future use. You can even label the object so that it give pin outs and save that as a BS2p40 chip.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2009-05-21 17:56
    ExpressPCB is great for small jobs and most of the hobby boards done by Parallax users. I know of several people that also use them for prototype boards even though they use real CAD programs to develop the gerber files.

Personally, I have the Full version of DipTrace and really like it. You can download the free version that has a 250 pin, 2 layer limitation to try it out and then just upgrade down the road if the need arises. Also, if you don't plan to make money off your boards, you can do what I did and start off with the "non-profit" version for only $125. That gets you 1000 pins and 4 layers. I upgraded to the full version because I worked on a project with a colleague that was above those limitations (2168 pins and 6 layers) and is being sold.

ps. You could create an entire forum on the topic of PCB design software in the regards of who uses what and why as well as who hates which software and why. There's been a few threads on that topic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2009-05-22 23:05
    Hi Rich,
    The Basic Stamp 2P-40 is a 40 pin dip.
    Experss PCB has this in the standard comonents.
    I use Express PCB for all of my boards.
    We do mostly custom stuff.
    A big production run is 10 boards.
    If you need to make a custom part it is easy.
    The help menu spells this out.
    I have attached a .pcb file of a board I made for the P40 chip.
    You will need Express PCB to open it.
    The Stamp is U2. Component U1 is a custom part. It is a TI Switching Regulator IC Chip
    This board interfaced an engine casting machine to a Plasma Cutting torch to cut of the casting gates and other unwanted material.
    So you can do interesting things with Stamps and Express PCB.
    (This board has some flaws and incorrect traces)

Alan Bradford
    Plasma Technologies
    www.plasmatechnologies.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Alan Bradford

Plasma Technologies
    Canaan NH 03741
    www.plasmatechnologies.com