Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Relay part number? — Parallax Forums

Relay part number?

SpeakerSpeaker Posts: 34
edited 2009-05-22 20:47 in BASIC Stamp
Can anyone give me a part number and a supplier for a good relay that will trigger easily at stamp output voltage levels?· I am currently trying to use a 9v relay by routing pin output to a base of a transistor.· Is there a relay that will work straight off the pin?

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-05-21 14:04
    The BASIC Stamps require protection when controling relays.· We·recommend the ULN2803 Line Driver chip for this circuit.· It cost a $1.50 and can control up to 8 relays.· Parallax's part number is 500-00005.· If you click on the product page you'll find a Nuts & Volts article number 6 that will show how to connect it up with sample code.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-05-21 15:08
    Speaker,

The problem is that Relays are inductive devices and you wouldn't generally want to run them off your I/O pin directly. Besides being inductive they also generally draw more current than you want to have on an I/O pin. Using a transistor (or the ULN) is an inexpensive way to protect your BASIC Stamp Module.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2009-05-21 22:33
    I know that you are not supposed to connect a relay directly to the stamp.· But I do use the following relay sometimes when I only need to energize a few at a time.· They are not too spendy and they have the diode built into the relay so you do not need really any external parts.

The·most I have ever used is 12 on a stamp (12 different stamp output pins) but only 3 were ever energized at a time.

Have a look at the following digikey number:

255-1403-5-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=255-1403-5-ND
  • SpeakerSpeaker Posts: 34
    edited 2009-05-22 18:20
    Got it now. Thanks all.
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2009-05-22 20:47
    A transistor or ULN IC Chip is cheap Insurance for a $40 Stamp Chip

Alan Braford
    Plasma Technologies
    www.plasmatechnologies.com