Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Possibly Fried Infrared Reciever? — Parallax Forums

Possibly Fried Infrared Reciever?

crimsuncrimsun Posts: 3
edited 2009-05-20 01:51 in Accessories
I recently purchased an infrared receiver (http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ColorLight/tabid/175/CategoryID/50/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/177/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName) for a project.While wiring it up, I misunderstood the diagram and didn't wire it properly, so it was not working. When I asked a friend for help, he reversed it, causing it to become incredibly hot. I now have figured out the error in the wiring, but the circuit is not working. I don't know if I am still using an infrared remote wrong, the circuit is fried, or I just fried a pin on the board.

The connection is supposed to be set up so board VDD connects to 1, board ground connects to 2, and pin 9 connects to 3. Initially, I wired it with VDD connected to 1, but pin 9 to 2 and ground to 3. When my friend reversed it, we had VDD to 3, pin 9 to 2, and ground to 1.

Also, for anyone who has worked with this circuit before, what code should I program a universal remote with? I have a Sony Universal remote and I'm uncertain which of the 3 codes is best to use.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-13 13:28
    You probably fried (literally) the IR detector. Most integrated circuits, unless they're designed specifically to be protected against reverse power supply connections (like some voltage regulators), will be damaged or destroyed instantaneously if connected in reverse to a power supply.
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2009-05-13 15:19
    I tried those IR detectors and fried two of them. Finally I got one to work. But, I moved to the Sharp IR detector and had no problems. You might want to try it. Parallax sales it , I think.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2009-05-13 19:56
    crimsun, carpenters have a saying; " measure twice, cut once". In our case it's check twice, fry less. I still fry the odd part once in a while but I am sure it would be a lot more often if I didn't follow that rule,

You have my sympathy.
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-14 00:39
    Happened to me too. It is fried, time for you to go to radioshack and get another for $3
  • crimsuncrimsun Posts: 3
    edited 2009-05-14 05:08
    Actually, surprisingly enough, it still works. I put off the project until morning, since I couldn't do anything until I could get back to the highbay once it opened to work. When I got there, I gave it another shot, and strangely enough the IR sensor had started working again. Not exactly certain how it fixed itself but I'm not complaining smilewinkgrin.gif

And sadly, the radioshack near me doesn't sell them. I don't exactly understand why, considering it sells a few of the less commonly used sensors (to my knowledge), but it doesn't stock those. If it did, I wouldn't have tried to do an engineering final project at 11 PM at night before it was due since I had to wait for an IR sensor to be delivered.
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-19 06:02
    Only one of the three RadioShacks in my regioin sells them. Dont really use mine anymore, since I am more concerned with GPS right now. Good luck either way.
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2009-05-20 01:51
    I had an experience like that as well... putting the receiver into my breadboard backwards and causing it to get extremely hot.
    Luckily, like you, it still seems to function fine.

Perhaps it needed to cool down before it worked again?

As I'm learning, don't depend on anything that might have been damaged by reversed power supply. It might work now, it might work for years, but it just as possibly
    might konk out in the next five minutes with absolutely no warning.