Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need to send serial data over Internet. ( Please Help) — Parallax Forums

Need to send serial data over Internet. ( Please Help)

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2009-05-14 04:11 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I need to send serial data from a Basic Stamp
to a computer using Internet.

My idea is to receive the data from the Basic Stamp with a computer,
but the computer will be in an other city , for this reason I need Internet
communication.

I know that I need a fixed IP.

Do you know how can I send the data over Internet.

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-08 15:15
    Have you looked at the PINK? www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/pink/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/40/Default.aspx

There are some companies that sell Telnet interfaces that look like a standard serial port to the the Stamp. You can find adverts in magazines like Nuts and Volts and Circuit Cellar.
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-09 04:20
    You could write a program (such as in VB or C#) and have them upload data from serial to a server. Contact me if you want further help.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2009-05-12 18:17
    Hi again,

Thanks . I don't know if the PINK (Parallax Internet Netburner Kit)
    could send the data over Internet.

Do you know ?

Thanks.

PS: I saw an other item from Parallax called HYDRA EtherX Card.
    But it seems that it is for other kind of application ( do you know? )
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-12 18:32
    The PINK is a webserver. You basically fill the PINK with one or more webpages that include variables that can be set (and read) by the Stamp. It's possible to make very sophisticated control pages that display and allow you to change various variables that the Stamp can use to control its functioning.

SitePlayer (www.siteplayer.com) is one manufacturer of serial to Telnet adapters that allow you to set up a serial connection via the Internet. That may be more what you're looking for.
    edited 2009-05-12 20:02
    Do you want the device to upload data/ act like a server with or without a computer. You can easily and for free make a computer app that will store the data. I can help you make it, if you need. Otherwise I would recoomend the PINK.
  • TomvnTomvn Posts: 103
    edited 2009-05-13 23:44
    Hi Georgel could you help me make one computer app to control my boebot with out use the Pink , i like to control the boebot by my blog and the boebot have wireless camera on it. just simple control robot movement forward back , left , right,, thanks
    edited 2009-05-13 23:46
    So you just want an app that has 4 buttons :left,right, forward, backward? and this is over serial cable?

I attached a quick and dirty version of what you want.
    If you dont have Visual Studio 2008 you can download it from Microsoft. Get Visual Basic Express.
    Open the attached zip and open the .sln (solution) file.

It will show you the Form window. Click on the SerialPort1 on the bottom of the screen, and it will show properties window on the right for it.

Scroll down and find COM3, change this to yours (unless thats what you have.)
    Now press F5 or click run on the menu bar. Click connect, if it gives you error, then you have the wrong COM port selected.

I attached also the BS2 file. You may need to modify the number in the If-Then Statement. The commented out code is for a PING))) sensor but can easily be modified to send whatever data you may need

Post Edited (GeorgeL) : 5/14/2009 12:17:09 AM GMT
    edited 2009-05-13 23:49
    Yes, and i can see video from wireless cam too,
    edited 2009-05-13 23:56
    i know is hard if got the video , if you cant that fine, just four button tho control movement that enough. thank you.
    edited 2009-05-14 00:15
    I dont know how to do video, it depends on the webcam. I edited my previous post. It has all the stuff you need.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-05-14 00:46
    GeorgeL

Did You mean ?

Generic Bluetooth Receiver.rar

Cool link,Thanks

______$WMc%______

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
    edited 2009-05-14 04:11
    Oh, yeah. I helped someone else, and named it that, so I resued the project. BUt this one has controls