Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flash Memory Chip — Parallax Forums

Flash Memory Chip

PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
edited 2009-05-07 03:03 in BASIC Stamp
· Digging through parts I got off ebay last year found an intel P28F010 memory chip (128K X 8K flash). I is worth adding to the bot for holding programs or·did I get ripped off again. The seller made it sound so easy without providing any support.·Any canned programs and advice would be usefull. Would like to know before I open another can of worms. Data sheet provided. I have also seen SD card readers that can plug into Basic stamps. I am just prepping for the future. My goal is to have programs·on board·the bot and be able ·interchange without hooking up to the computer using a LCD and push button to scroll.·Just an idea for now. Any input is appreciatted. cool.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-07 02:16
    You got taken advantage of. It could be done with a bunch of external parts (access the memory in the chip), but there are way easier ways to get 128Kx8 of memory. Atmel has nice 128Kx8 EEPROMs in an 8-pin package for a couple of $s that are used just like any other EEPROM. There are also SPI versions that are easier to interface to if you have a BS2 on your BOT rather than a BS2p/pe/px which has built-in I2C statements.

Parallax (and Vinculum) does sell a USB memory stick interface and other manufacturers do sell an SD card interface that works with Stamps. The problem is that you can't execute them directly off the external memory. You have to copy them from the external memory to the Stamp's built-in EEPROM, then execute from there and that won't work unless you have a "multi-slot" Stamp (which the BS2 is not). You'd need one of the Stamps with multiple program "slots" like the BS2p/pe/px.
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-05-07 02:42
    Thanks again. Live and learn. I just updatted my bot to a BS2p and put the BS2 in the growbot board. I reciently found out that the BS2sx would have been a bad choice for me and the p series is cheap on ebay now. I do have alot of SD cards laying around so I know there is a future application.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-07 02:49
    Keep your SD cards around for your Propeller-based project.
    edited 2009-05-07 03:03
    Thanks. I guess you recommend the USB flash for the stamp? I start learning my programing the end of this week. Just waiting for parts. SD cards are always usefull. Especially for cameras. lol I like that trick for testing a IR remote. I still use the majic card from kodak for sensing IR industrial lasers.
    edited 2009-05-07 03:03
    Thanks. I guess you recommend the USB flash for the stamp? I start learning my programing the end of this week. Just waiting for parts. SD cards are always usefull. Especially for cameras. lol I like that trick for testing a IR remote. I still use the majic card from kodak for sensing IR industrial lasers.